Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Instead of freezing the frames, hard to do with my small freezer, I had thought about baking the entire super, including frames, in the oven for about 10 minutes at 220 degrees. I already cleaned off the frames of wax and spotted wax moths along with the super...now for the heat treatment.

Is this a good idea or will I end up with a fire mess?!:s

I have about 6 entire supers to do...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I use a solar wax melter to clean wax and debris from frames. I use it to clean the frames of wax left behind from cut comb. My wax melters will hold 8 frames, ( I have 2) so I can do 16 frames each day. It will melt all the wax away from the frames. I have never tried it on wax moth infested frames, but I believe it would work for that also.

To get them totally clean, I use a propane turkey cooker and a hugh stainless steel pan and just stick the frames in the boiling water, then let them dry. You need to get rid of most of the wax worm mess before putting in the boiling water or you will get the water dirty very quickly and have to change water. cchoganjr

·
Registered
723 Posts
I used to have a really small freezer, too. Do what I did.

Ask around with friends as to who has a chest freezer or stand up. I asked these friends if I could put some frames in only overnight. They all were happy to do it each time. This led to them asking lots of questions about beekeeping. Once they learned a little they would say, "Man anytime you need the freezer, it's yours."

Well one guy actually ended up giving me his chest freezer because he never used it!!

Needless to say, I keep these friends stocked with a little honey year round.

So just ask around, borrow a freezer for the night and wear out the wax moths!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...I did it! Heated the oven up to 350 degrees, wrapped the boxes, with frames inside them, with foil and let set in the oven for 45 minutes. OMG...all my frames are cleaned and I am sure that there are no moths/eggs alive after that hell roast)))

Now to clean up the freaken kitchen from all the melted wax and old honey:eek:

Was it all worth it...YES!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
MrGreenThumb;

If you have wooden frames that had comb that was damaged by wax moths, and you have cut the comb out of the frames and scraped the moth cocoons to remove them, there is no need to freeze the frames before you use them again. Freezing is just to kill wax moth larvae/eggs in comb that you intend to store for use the following year.

Moth crystals (paradichlorobenzene) or Xentari powder (Bacillus thuringiensis aizawai) will protect your comb over the winter. You keep wax moths out of your hives by keeping the adult bee populations strong.

If you are wanting to clean frames of all wax then boiling in water will remove the wax because it melts at 148 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Mr GT,,,,you either live alone,,,,or you have the one of the most understanding wives on the planet!!!!!!!:D My hat is off to you.

Rick SoMd

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Why were you wanting to bake the frames? Were you trying to kill wax moths, or were you trying to melt all the wax?

Baking will accomplish both. You just ruined those combs. I have no idea why. If the combs were that bad, you would have simply cut them out with a knife. Baking them was absolutely pointless.

You are fortunate you didn't burn your house down. Wax is extremely flammable and the flash point is 400 degrees. (Spontaneously combust) If the thermometer on your oven was a little, you could have had a major disaster.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It's my understanding that wax moths are after protien such as pollen and pupa casings, they would not be interested in the wood or pure wax. or wax that only had honey in it. The wax and woodwork in the hive gets damaged from them chasing after pollen and pupa casings in brood frames. This being the case, you now have clean as a whistle frames but was not needed if you had already cleaned off all the wax containing pollen and pupa casings and other wax and debri.

I think the solar melter idea sounded great and have been wanting to build me one here that was large enough to set a full deep or two inside with frames to melt all the wax and clean them all up fairly easily. I may get to it some day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts