Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's summer and dearth in Atlanta. I have started feeding fondant to two small nucs in my beeyard. So far no robbing, even though I do not have robber screens on. I was told by a senior member of the club that feeding fondant does not cause robbing. Probably it's because it
is solid and takes time to liquify? Not sure. What are your experiences? Should I put robber screens on? Thank you very much,
Stavros

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
You are in a dearth and you are putting fondant on. Fondant doesn't drip or leak so maybe that is why it doesn't cause robbing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My two small nucs seem to love fondant: they are taking good chuncks of in a matter of days. They each had a little less than 2 frames of bees and very few stores. I have not put robber screens, and watching them for signs of robbing. So far so good and the nucs have definitely accelerated their activity. I will check if they finish building the foundation, and start storing on it. Fondant is more expensive than sugar syrup, but the bees love it! For a few hives it's a great product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts