Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired an older model tangential (galvanized)extractor that I tried using last week. The pipe is above the bottom of the tub so I turned it sideways to drain the honey, resting the bottom of the tub on the hot stove, when a streak of dirt or grease appeared from the bottom center . The amount of honey in question is about 2 or 3 frames worth.

A stripped set screw connecting the pulley at the top may have been supporting some weight from the bottom spindle. I'm planning to not use this extractor again.

Has anyone heard of clarifying/filtering in this case ? Is this honey safe to feed to the bees throughout winter if nothing else?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
You don't know what other have used for lubricant but you should only use Food Grade oil for an extractor. The spindle on the bottom usually has some kind of oil. I usually use a small amount of Vaseline. The grease won't mix with the honey. If it gets in the honey it will rise to the top and you can skim it off. Honey will emulsify small amounts of light oil, but I don't think it will dissolve grease.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm not sure how you were using the hot stove, but I wouldn't involve that kind of heat in cleaning up. I just tip it and wait a day or two and then either wash it out or let the bees clean it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts