Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ventilation/feeding box on top that needs planing I guess; there's a gap along one side of the bottom edge where it sits. Last time I was in the hive I scraped the box's edge to get it to lay flat (which it still doesn't), and now their propolizing for the crack is gone. It's about eight inches, the worst of it is about 1/8 inch wide.

Will the girls be able to bring proplis from other areas of the hive to ***** this up, or should I duct tape it?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
They'll recycle and reuse propolis from inside the hive, and elsewhere. I've seen them hauling it off from hive bodies and supers stacked up in my driveway.

George-

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I agree with George.

I leave queen excluders out in the sun and the bees pull propolis and wax from them. Tuck it in the pollen baskets and back to the hive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One year (many years ago) I had a deer lease in South Texas - had bought a new travel trailer and moved it down there. The caulk around all the joints in the trailer was still very soft and bees picked it all clean. Every bit they could get to was gone by the time deer season was over. The trailer never developed any leaks, to my surprise. Not sure if they were feral hives or not. I had never seen this happen - guess they will use most anything they can find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts