Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I noticed 2-3 SHB running along the floor of my two colonies. No larvae or comb slime has appeared since so the bees are keeping them under control for the time being.

I was wondering, though - can the bees totally run the SHB out of the hive, or is it a case of once they are in, they will always be a presence?

Also, while the colonies currently have strong populations and are covering the frames, what happens to the SHB when the bees go into the winter cluster and are confined to a smaller space? Do the SHB have better access to the frames of stores that are no longer being protected by the smaller winter cluster?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have never seen a colony that eliminated hive beetles once they were in the colony. A few beetles remained in the hive but did no damage to it.

When cold weather arrives the beetles go inside the cluster where it is warm and remain there. If the beetles are caught outside the cluster in an area of the hive where the temperature goes in the 50s they die, at least the ones I see in my hives do. The ones inside the cluster make the winter well and start the cycle again in spring.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Can the bees? No.

Can the beekeeper? Yes.

Saw a few and went to war. After managing the hives and the soil with SHB in mind, I haven't seen any since this spring. Zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts