Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Looks exactly like propolis. Some of my bees next to a pine forest with abundant supply do exactly the same pre winter.

If you are going to give those bees an entrance guard you could remove the propolis and use it for home remedies or whatever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks exactly like propolis. Some of my bees next to a pine forest with abundant supply do exactly the same pre winter.

If you are going to give those bees an entrance guard you could remove the propolis and use it for home remedies or whatever.
Wow I have never seen them try to close the entire entrance!

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
We have hives just like that.
Every since Sue Cobey and WSU introduced Caucasian genetics to the NWC lines, propolis expression has skyrocketed.
Dr. Marla Spivak has some very convincing arguments that this is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
Next Year: 8-Frame Mediums
259 Posts
The word propolis actually means "before the city".
I had to look it up because it wasn't clicking for me (but sounded right according to the Latin.) I guess "before" the city as in "suburb." Wiki says "apparently because the material was used by bees to extend their hives."

·
Super Moderator
11,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My hives with heavy propolis producers seem to control SHB better than others. I find beetles entombed in small corrals built on tops of frames above the frame rests.

Alex

P. S. I wish someone would add propolis to this site's dictionary. It's not a big deal, but I always look back to see if I spelled it right.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That "brown stuff" is good for you.
Some of us eat it and drink it and even sell it.
Agree!
Recently I had a sore spot on the inside of my mouth. A little infection, wouldn't go away. . So I diluted some propolis tincture and rinsed my mouth. Also applied a little tincture with a Q tip. In a couple days....gone!

Also, I work in a dementia care facility, so I got curious if propolis might be good for cognitive function. Turns out:

I don't know if this is a "good " study or not but I find it interesting.
Needless to say, I take propolis.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Agree!
Recently I had a sore spot on the inside of my mouth. A little infection, wouldn't go away. . So I diluted some propolis tincture and rinsed my mouth. Also applied a little tincture with a Q tip. In a couple days....gone!

Also, I work in a dementia care facility, so I got curious if propolis might be good for cognitive function. Turns out:

I don't know if this is a "good " study or not but I find it interesting.
Needless to say, I take propolis.
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What is the consistency of this brown stuff? Hard? Gooey? Runny? Waxy? My guess is propolis as well, but that would depend on what it feels like when you poke it or scrape it.
Seems like propolis varies a lot, sometimes very very sticky, other times hard as concrete. Old propolis gets crackly and chips right off.

Some hives last year propolized down to tiny one-bee entrances last fall. That was okay with me except they got snowed in very easily. I suspect one hive suffocated due to that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts