Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hard to tell the size of them, how long are they? Are they inside the hive one the bottom board or just on the outside/landing area? If they are only on the outside, are they from grass or a tree or something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell the size of them, how long are they? Are they inside the hive one the bottom board or just on the outside/landing area? If they are only on the outside, are they from grass or a tree or something?
They are around 1/4" in length. They are on this inside, white board, under a screened bottom. Exactly one week from installation of the screened bottom board (with white board).

Seems like some kinda poo, but the winged/x shape is puzzling. Also note the different colors (black to gold).

I did notice a large (1/2") black beetle type bug that scampered off the white board as I pulled it out. Suspect it's his poo.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
Wax moth larvae poop.
Wax moth poo gets my vote also. Even a new hive can have wax moths in it.
Pull the bottom board off and scrape any and all debris off of it, I think you will find some webs and wax moth larva in the corners. If you have any old frames in the hive that are empty and not enough bees to cover them, better give them the once over.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
-1 to wax moth poo.
Not it.

But I don't know what it is. Befuddled.
Never seen this before (but seen plenty of wax moth poo).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did you happen sneeze while eating brown rice?🤣 Couldn’t help it. If you installed a screen bottom board it is entirely possible Emmett may be correct. I have seen parts of plants get strewn all over the bottom board when weed eating, and I use solid bottom boards. So if lawn work has been done recently it is a possibility. If it continues Florida Department of Agriculture is a resource.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
They are around 1/4" in length................I did notice a large (1/2") black beetle type bug that scampered off the white board as I pulled it out. Suspect it's his poo.
THAT is one big poo, don't you think?
Half the one's size.
Imaging cow droppings half the cow size.
LOL
Granted bees poo some big puddles during the spring cleansing, but even then not in half-bee size chunks.

Me too - thinking some wild rice thingy is somehow is involved.
Whatever local grass you got going there. Wind blowing. Seeds falling. Whatever.....

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,136 Posts
Sometimes I find little bird seed looking stuff in my hives. I can only assume there's a handful of dumb bees that collect the stuff when times are tough and then it gets rejected by more intelligent bees patrolling the combs. I've also inadvertently shaken or closed inside the hive other debris like grass, leaves, etc. It can look kind of weird on the bottom board when that happens. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about immediately. You've officially looked at your bottom board at least one time more than I have this year! The only thing I'd consider is checking protein stores and think about supplementing if you notice sever lack of brood, or starvation/consumption of capped brood, etc.

All of that said... here's my OFFICIAL prediction...
Corn (or maybe some other grass) anthers.

Best pic that I could find to show what I'm talking about. They come in a lot of different colors depending on variety. And grass has a variety as well.

Grass:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts