Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am a new beek to the area and witnessed this bee behavior between two worker bees on a rock today by the bee yard. One was resting on the rock and the other crawled over (seemed a bit stronger) and joined her on the rock. They touched antennae, and it appeared they touched proboscis, but mainly they batted their front legs to each other. See photos - I also have video but am not computer saavy enough to seem to be able to upload it on here!
Any feedback? Is this communication? Fighting? Sharing sources?

-8.jpg

-2.jpg

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,166 Posts
Sharing nectar/honey. If you watch the front step of your hive you'll notice it happening pretty often.
There was another member here who watched a bumble bee get some food from a honey bee. Mine never seem aggressive towards bumble bees AT ALL until late in the fall. Otherwise I see them fairly frequently near my hives pretty well ignored for the most part. Haven't ever witnessed the food sharing with a bumble, but I'm sure it happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that's what I was hoping!! That is SO cool! Do these little creatures get any more fascinating?! Love it,t hank you so much for your feedback and help jwcarlson

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Oh Yes, they get plenty more fascinating. In the past few years I have come to discover that for the most part they are not only extremely gentle. But they are intelligent as far as their colony behavior. Predicting their next move is complicated beyond anything I could have imagined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked the right new hobby... Or did it pick me? I can't tell anymore!
So glad BeeSource is here, thanks for all your support folks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts