Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a swarm call friday night and saturday i went and picked it up. I got about 5-6 pounds of bees and came home and installed them in my TBH. Now i just got a call from the same guy telling me there is another swarm in the same tree (7" inches wide by 12" inches long!) Can they go in the same TBH that i just placed the swarm that i got saturday from the same place??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I caught two swarms off the same limb earlier this year. I just figured they were attracted to the pheremones left by the previous swarm. You don't think this was leftover workers that you did not catch do you? If not, I would think it was a new swarm.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good luck honeykeeper:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is a bee tree in a wooded area near my home and I have collected 3 swarms, all about a week apart, off the same limb of a large sweet gum tree. I have swarm traps out near the bee tree and never once have I gotten a swarm to enter one of them.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Can they go in the same TBH that i just placed the swarm that i got saturday from the same place??
It would be best to put them in their own hive. 2 swarms can be combined if they are added at the same time. If you do it now there will be a fight and you may lose both queens.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, I just had two swarms hit the same branch in a small tree two days apart.

The first swarm was in the process of leaving the branch when I got there, the second swarm was captured.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im headed back tomorrow morning for this swarm at the same place.
1st question What would be a good suggestion to get this swarm as fast and easy and as much bees as possible since it is a 140 mile round trip and this is the second time going back....hahaha...I already got 5 pounds of bees the first time. Its a willow tree and the owner said yes to my suggestion in cutting a few branches in order to get as much as possible.
2nd question I had placed the first swarm in the left side of a 4 foot TBH...can i put this second swarm on the right side of the TBH???? I have 2 follower boards in the middle! Then in a few weeks if there is no eggs in either of my 2 stand ups or the left side of the TBH i can add that batch in with a group that does have a queen! and use newspaper correct?? Thank you!!!
3rd question Yesterday i installed the 1st batch in the TBH and today they was so attracted to the pheremones that they was coming to the front porch (150 yards away) where i had the swarm box that i brought them home in! I had to double wrap the box up in 2 garbage bags....hahaha..Do you think that means that i do have the queen?????

MikeS i need lots of luck on this one since its 140 miles round trip and this is the second trip...Shewwww...hahaha

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
1st Question...
Not sure, maybe the same way you got the first one? Maybe dump them in a bucket with a lid off center a bit?

2nd Question...
Sounds like it might or might not work. Why don't you try it and report back to us all here? I'd be interested in hearing if it works or not.

3rd Question...
I think it just means they are attracted to the pheromone, not that you have a queen for sure. Watch the bees at the entrance of your TBH, bringing in pollen? fanning? Guarding the entrance? All signs of queen. Wait a week then peek inside to see if you see eggs and larva. If not, check back in another week.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
...or in some cases, longer than a couple of months.

we were out with the inspector and were present when a swarm was issuing from a hive. the previous year, there had been a swarm from this yard that settled on a very high branch....the branch had been cut, and had been left on the lawn over the winter.

guess where the swarm landed? right on the same branch (which was easy to reach, since it was sitting on the lawn).

so, you might want to cut the branch the bees are on, and place it where it is easy to reach :)

sam comfort told me about a "swarm bob" (i believe someone at the SE Organic meeting showed him), which is a ball of slumgum hung from a tree that supposedly will attract a swarm. just place it so that it can be lowered with a rope (along with the swarm).

deknow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts