Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had a hive that became queenless and raised a virgin queen, and since it was too early for the queen to be mated properly I ordered a new queen. Anyway, the queen came in today so I searched the hive and found the virgin and squished the queen slightly and then I through it to the ground. I'm kicking myself now because I'm not sure if I killed her, since I didn't squish her very hard and I didn't check to confirm that she was dead. What I want to know is if the virgin queen is still alive could she kill the mated queen through the cage wire? In the method of requeening I use I leave the wooden cork on for 3 days, then I take the cork off and poke a hole through the candy, so it's not like the mated queen could get outside her cage and fight the virgin.m I was thinking of maybe putting the mated queen in there if it is safe to do so and then looking to see if the virgin queen survived tomorrow, and if so I'll kill her.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't expect the virgin queen can kill the new queen through the cage but it is 50/50 who would win a fight if the virgin isn't dead (the virgin or the new queen).

BTW; When you kill a queen you should leave her in the hive (you mentioned you threw her on the ground but I wasn't sure if you threw her inside the hive or outside).

·
Registered
156 Posts
As I found out last week, you should never pinch/kill the Queen yourself. You should keep a small amount of rubbing alsohol, and drop her into it. That will kill her, but also provide you with the swarm trap lure you will eventually want to be using. I doubt, in a wounded state, you have much to worry about.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Queens that encounter each other, especially if one is a virgin, will 99% of the time, immediately work to eliminate each other. Queens confined to cages, will often hide themselves from hostile workers (the cages are designed for that), but they will only attempt to kill a rival queen (which is any other queen that is still alive) and not hide from her, until one of them is dead. And, since the one queen is trapped in a cage, it is like shooting ducks in a barrel for the queen not caged, and the caged queen is at the greatest disadvantage - c'est la vie.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to check tomorrow if she survived, and if I find her I'll kill her. When I'm inspecting, at what time should I inspect them to make sure that she is in there? The queen might still be young enough to go flying out on mating flights, so I want to make sure I inspect at a time of day while she's in there.

Nathan

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Actually you don't have to 'kill her.' All you have to do is to keep her in another box with 2 frames of
bees attached. Depending on how long she got hatched to take her mating flight she will stay with the 2
frame bees. Your concern is whether or not she got mated to lay. But if she did then you could lose a good
queen to adapt to your environment. I'd say to leave her bee for a chance to survive.
The new queen in a cage can last a long time when taken care of by other bees inside a small nuc box. This
will allow you to have more time to decide what to do with the virgin after she got back and laying. Now you
have 2 hives to expand from.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really want more hives at the moment, and I'm sure if she was mated that she didn't get mated well. That's why I want to confirm that she's dead, we have very few drones right now and most of them are probably older, overwintered ones that some hives seem to keep instead of throwing out in the fall.

Nathan

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I don't know. I have banked caged queens in queen right hives many times and not lost the caged queens Go figure.
I have also, in a colony used for banking about a dozen queens, had them raise a queen from their own queen cell, she mated and began laying, despite the presence of about a dozen caged queens. Though several of them were killed, I can only assume they were killed by that virgin, though why she didn't get them all, is curious. My experience is that "virgins" are exceptional at initiating aggression, though even mated/laying queens aren't always slackers (even they sometimes initiate the aggression), they will, most usually attempt to defend themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts