Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of going foundationless, but I still have a lot of foundation I am using along the way as well as old comb that was built on foundation. Since the natural cells built w/o foundation are smaller than those built on foundation, will the bees and especially the queen have problems fitting into the smaller natural cell size. This occurred to me when I saw my queen that was 4 weeks old and very large and not laying running all over the comb and never once pausing to even attempt to lay but just kept running over empty comb like she did not or could not lay.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It is a rare occurance for me to see a queen lay. Your queen will lay in the comb she is on. Don't fret.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not fretting, the thought just occurred to me as this is the largest queen I have ever seen. I have seen queens lay in observation hives often. Not sure about my hives as they usually run when I am looking for them on the frame

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Usually queens that look particularly large ARE laying. Cage that same queen and in a few hours she will look much smaller. But to directly answer your question I have hives with small cell and some with natural, and many with Mann Lake ritecell and the queens have no problems laying when I move them about.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Here is a pic I took of a queen ( with the green dot ) raised in a large cell hive that I transferred to small cell. I was new to small cell at the time and like you, worried that she was too big to lay in the cells.

However she calmly laid eggs as I watched & I took this pic. Unfortunately the pic does not show it very well, but what she actually did was just put the tip of her abdomen in & stretch it out, so I guess it thinned down & got all the way to the bottom.

Have noticed that queens that have been laying in large cell hives and then get transferred to a small cell hive, can take a while to adapt. They will sometimes not lay at all for several days, and then be very patchy for several weeks, but will eventually come right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts