Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
I often hear how dark cloths provoke the bees, but i generally work my bees in shorts and a dark t-shirt with no problems. It is my opinion that a camo pattern bee suit is for the beekeeper, not the bees.

Just my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Dido.
Black or white tee, it's how you act around the bees that effects their temperament more than what you wear. I certainly wouldn't say dark colors anger them...

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
They routinely use camo suites in Russia - not a problem at all.
That required white garb is likely just another myth coming from the age before the camo was invented yet.
However, the light garb will be cooler when working in the sun, which is a benefit.
But the camo does not show dirt, which is a benefit.
And so on.

And also:

·
Registered
35 Posts
What bee suit? I just looked on every bee supply place I could think of and didn't see it. Doh! I see it now. It was hard to see because it's camo. :LOL:

In all seriousness....I check my bees regularly in a dark t-shirt and notice no difference between that and a light colored t-shirt.

What I have noticed is that when I don't wear a cap, they always go for my hair. Every single time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe the idea that dark colors anger bees came from a time when beekeepers smelled like bear? I have noticed bees reacting to strong smell, I don't recommend perfumes. But yes the number one beekeeper trait is behavior, not color.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been stung twice on my wrist while wearing a watch. I think it had to do less with the color and more with them getting pinched between the band and my wrist.

I've seen youtubers talk about the bees going after the black, fluffy, mic cover / wind shield.

I seem to remember hearing that the color red actually looks black to bees. So presumably wearing a black shirt is the same as wearing red.

They are probably less concerned if you look like a bear, as long as you don't act like a bear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.