Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that buckeye is poison to bees and every other animal as well.

I know an area that is thick in buckeye trees and have watched the bees thriving for five years now.
Not just one hive,either.

This is a canyon twenty miles long and the bees can be found along the entire length. No domestic hives within several miles at either end of the canyon. So I am certain they are feral.

Right now they are working the buckwheat. I can spot fifty bees on any plant I look at.

When the buckeye was in bloom it was plenty strong but I didn't notice bees working it.

Have I found a new strain of bees or am I missing something about buckeye?

I will be putting out traps next year.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
the buckeye is not a blossom that is good for honey bees. native bees as well as other pollinators are immune to the toxins within the plant. However the non native Honeybee is not and it does not agree with them. it is not clear weather it is the pollen or nectar, both Or both in combination. In any event they are not good for bees.

·
Registered
746 Posts
While buckeye isn't supposed to be good for bees, there is buckeye all over NorCal and the bees seem to deal with it. I have hives that are surrounded by lots of them and do just fine. Presumably there's plenty of other forage so that the effect of buckeye isn't too much for the hives. Not much you can do about it anyway, so just ignore it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts