Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Mine dates back to 1986. The county got money from the state if they did bee inspections, there is no agriculture in my area. The moron tore apart an apiary in the middle of the honey flow, and found two cells of AFB in a colony with six full supers on it. He posted a burn notice. Burning is illegal in our county. I asked him, "where do I burn it, please advise". Never heard another word. One of the honey supers with his scribbling on it still shows up in my extracting room every year.
He later became the ag commissioner of the county.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, I shipped a load a couple of days ago. The trucker, a well seasoned bee hauler, got a load of hay out of the L.A. area. Brought it to New Mexico, then we loaded him the next day. To own to my own fault there were a couple of small clumps of hay on the bed, which I brushed off.....although not completly. So going through Blyth the inspectors found a hay grub. Shut down for 12 hours while they sent it to the lab. Wouldn't you know it came back as a hay grub from California.
Luckily 10 of the 12 hours was at night. I just don't get it. Money wise, almonds are California's #1 export for agricultural products....do ya think they could just inspect the bees once they hit the ground so they have something left to pollenate the precious fruit? I even had the bees inspected by my state Ag entomologist prior to departure.. which obviously means squat to California.
At any rate the almond farmers should step up on this one if they really want to keep getting a crop.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
We loaded Monday night in Fl...got thru Ag station at 4 pm yesterday. They found a couple of ants after a long search....otherwise all ok. First time in three years I didnt get held up!
I think those guys just justify their jobs....Two years ago we sent some bees we didnt plan on, but there was a shortage so we sent them..they were in singles so we put a med super on, well the bees found a wax larvae and pulled it out..ag inspector found it. Took them THREE days to figure out what it was. 20 hives died in the heat even though we watered..(only one hose for four trucks). Other trucks were held up for beetles, they didnt even know beetles would fly, I told them beetles flew and they said no they dont. I replied how do you regulate something when you dont know anything about them? All this time beetles were flying from other trucks to mine, I wasnt very nice after the first day. Last year they found a empty cocoon in a crevice we didnt see and one piss ant after two inspectors looked with flashlights for 1.5 hrs. Told me they were turning me back because of the ant, (we had a certificate from Fl that pallets were cleaned ect and were allowed in with five ants, 3 could be fire ants). When I brought it to their attention that I was allowed 5 ants, they said they had changed the rules. I asked why was hay, construction material, RV campers were allowed in unlooked at. NO answer. I asked did they have ants in hay..again no good answer. When I told them I knew they had piss ants in CA and I wasnt spending $13,000 in trucking cost because of a piss ant and they werent changing the rules in the middle of the game the head guy (head guy) in Sacremento told me it wasnt his problem. I replied with alot (and I mean ALOT)of colorful language and that if he turned the load back I was going to be on a plane the next day and that night I would be in the local jail and he would be in the hospital....and that I had never been in jail and would make sure it was worth it as he would be in hospital a long time..reply was let me see what I can do....truck was released and on road in 5 minutes....he had NO LEGAL LEG to stand on! Just politocal red tape and justifing a job! A shame I had to bee a donkeys you know what, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Let me guess which station it was...ummm....Needles. It's almost like they get kickbacks from the guy who does the pressure washing. In spite of all the complaints the situation has not improved over the years. Now instead of looking for RIFA, they look for anything they can find to hold the truck and get it washed. Which doesn't guarantee entry. Go through Parker or Videl Junction instead. No problem. It's not right what they do. They have the authority to hold but not the expertise to release. Ridiculous. Moronic buerocrats.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Nope went thru Reno last year..trying to avoid Needles (needles first time). They also suggested I go to Needles an dget them washed....I replied they were washed already and asked who was getting the kickback? Dont think they like me too much after that! lol I dont put up with political bull and WOULD HAVE been in Sacremento the next day if they had turned me back and it wouldnt have been pretty I'm sure! Went across I-10 this year due to cold and snow on I-40.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I Know of a guy who was called yesterday. Told he had a fire ant colony in a corner of one box and wanted permission to burn that skid and two that are next to that one. He said no
so they are burning anyway. Why are they asking permission? This is after power washing skids moving hives and doing spam test with no ants

1 - 9 of 9 Posts