Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just caught a large swarm with 2 queens. Or at least that's how many I saw and put in queen cages. Do I simply release the queens and let them hash it out or release one of them and put the other elsewhere? I would bet these are virgins at this point so I need to release them for their mating flights very shortly.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You could either let them hash it out or you could make a split with the other queen. I would make the decision rather quickly though.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Caught swarm with 2 queens, what to do?

I was concerned that one of the queens would haul 1/2 of the swarm off. Right now the swarm has completely filled a 5 frame nuc with 4 frames of undrawn comb, and one frame of capped brood and eggs. It's overcast and cool here. I am going to mark and release the two queens, put another 5 frame nuc on top to give them more room and start feeding them.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
How does a swarm with 2 caged queens have a frame of capped brood? You either gave them the brood or they have a laying queen and your caged virgins are useless now because of the time they would have been caged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you gave them a frame of brood and eggs from another box. What if you gave them a queen by mistake stranger things have happened to me. You might check the box the brood came from.If thats not the case then I would take a few frames of bees and honey from a strong box and make a nuc. More boxes the beter.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I caught the swarm yesterday. I always add a frame of brood and eggs to a swarm to ensure they stay and give them a population boost in a week or two. I just marked and released both queens , added a filled feeder frame, and shut the nuc up. They were MUCH more interested in one of the queens. The other one was quickly allowed in-between the frames. Both queens were equal in size, color, and the "hair" on back and body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts