Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nuc go queen less so I decided to combine it with a smaller nuc that was queen right. I thought I was doing right so I caged the queen in the smaller nuc and then did a newspaper combine 2 days ago I looked to day and the queen was in the cage dead. So I took another queen out of a nuc and caged her and put her in the nuc. I hope the 2nd time around does it.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
What you are describing is classic for the "queenless" nuc to have a queen that is simply no longer laying. The stronger nuc viewed the caged queen as unecessary and killed her by stinging through the cage. I would check on the queen you just put in. The queenless nuc could also have laying workers, but the end result is the same. Good luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing JW I have checked the new queen several times to day and they are not showing any aggression toward this new queen

·
Registered
693 Posts
I ordered a new queen for a hive I was sure was queenless, I had been checking it for the last two weeks, and no sign of anything, SO I installed the new queen, and came back 2 days later to check, and saw Larvae.
Then I discovered some empty queen cells that had emerged in there. So I ended up putting the new queen in another hive I think is queenless, this time I shook the whole hive through an excluder:)
It's all on Youtube if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts