Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a limited example of how quickly bees can remove the candy.

I installed 8 queens on Saturday. I did not remove the corks on either end. 2 went into nucs with a couple frames of bees. 4 went into average hives with 5-6 frames of bees. 2 went into hives that had swarmed a few days earlier and were 7+ frames of bees.

I checked on them today. Been approximately 4 days since install. All the candy was gone. It had been taken care of by the 5-7 attendants on the inside.

I guesstimate that if I had removed the cork on the candy end, a queen or 3 may have been released within a day. And that may have not ended well for her majesty.

One reason why I dictate the timing of the release by leaving the corks in.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some of the first candy releases I ever tried, I looked back after 6 hrs and they had already eaten half the candy.

Had 2 splits out of 40 last year that after 10 days I came back to see if queen was laying, and found the candy intact. They'd torn the cork plug from the other end instead.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This is just a limited example of how quickly bees can remove the candy.

I installed 8 queens on Saturday. I did not remove the corks on either end. 2 went into nucs with a couple frames of bees. 4 went into average hives with 5-6 frames of bees. 2 went into hives that had swarmed a few days earlier and were 7+ frames of bees.

I checked on them today. Been approximately 4 days since install. All the candy was gone. It had been taken care of by the 5-7 attendants on the inside.

I guesstimate that if I had removed the cork on the candy end, a queen or 3 may have been released within a day. And that may have not ended well for her majesty.

One reason why I dictate the timing of the release by leaving the corks in.
I have seen the other opposite extreme, I think the place I bought a queen from used old candy and the queen had not been released after 7-10 days. After 7-10 days about 1/3 of the candy was still there and I manually released the queen.

I think the best thing to do is check if the queen has been released after 5ish days if you are using a candy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts