Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to put a big thank you to C.F. Koehnen and Sons.

Have ordered several queens from Nichole and she is always great.

Has a queen that I was forced to sit in the cage for 2 extra nights and it is doing great now!

Very happy and look forward to a long and prosperous relationship.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Great people to do business with and excellent queens. They run both carnis and Italians and I get both. However, their Italians this year are some of the best I have ever seen. I also like the mini cages they use and the over use of attendants outside the cages. Keeps the queens well fed and watered in case you can't place right away and the mini cages make placement quick and easy in the hive.

They will have my business for years to come.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last Thursday I received 20 Carniolan queens from Koehnen's. I agree, customer service was great, Nicole was gracious enough to post pone my shipment a couple of days due to inclimate weather here in PA. The queens look great.
I also plan on ordering from them for years to come. Good job Koehnen's.
Al

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've enjoyed doing business with them for the past few years. But this year, the Carni/italian queens I got where really, really good. They appeared more mature (larger, healthier looking) then the last few years. I also got excellent acceptance this year. It would have been 31 queens accepted out of 31, but one colony had a virgin which I found laying today. Their bees/genetics are always gentle too, which is essential for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I, too, have ordered from C F Koehnen & Sons with good response. This is my first order with them, but it was handled beautifully. They shipped when they said on thursday 6/11 and the two queens were marked and packaged very well when I got them on Friday 6/12. Queens and attendants were in good health and queens were actively piping. Beautiful cordovan italians. I'm excited to see what they will do.

:thumbsup: Recommended.

C F Koehnen & Sons
http://www.koehnen.com/
3131 Highway 45
Glenn, California 95943
(530) 891-5216
(530) 934-5216
FAX (530) 934-2613

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can not say enough of them they are great only place i get my queens from.
they are great to work with and Other beekeepers in my area are impressed from what they see in the bees and queen I have bought from them.:applause:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Based on the responses from this forum, I decided to try them.

So here is my experience.

Called them on Tuesday to order 8 queens, they shipped on Wednesday, and I received them today -- I would call this speedy.

I did ask for an email and a delivery confirmation -- Basically was told that this is their busy season and things happen so fast. So I wouldn't be getting either. I was left wondering that I just spent $150 for livestock, but wasn't sure when they would be delivered. I actually thought poorly of them for this.

One of the queens arrived dead, which can happen. Their policy is to ship out replacement queens, but I would need to pay the shipping. The shipping is $26 for Next Day Air, while the queen is $18. I then asked for credit for the dead queen, which they did. I did appreciate the credit, but was dismayed at their policy. My average price of the remaining 7 queens went up. I think that they should have eaten the cost to reship as I think most companies would do.

They did make a point to tell me that their queens were mated and they didn't know their egg laying patterns. These queens were skinny, so who knows if they mated or not.

I think that in the future, I will try other companies that sell queens, who have verified that they are laying good brood patterns. So that's my experience.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Queens are changing all the time, to have verified a laying is only short term, that's like going fishing and be verified too catch something.
Sorry to disagree with you. When I order a queen, I at least want it verified that she has been bred and is laying a good pattern. I can raise my own otherwise, and save the $26.00 freight and $18.00 for the queen. You order queens to save this time. When you get a drone layer or one not bred why waste your money.

I am personally glad to know this about C.F. Koehnen & Sons, but I also take note that their web site states that there customers are generally very pleased. I guess they don't aim to please everyone.

Danny

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I can say that I ordered over 180 queens from CF Koehnen this year and have had nothing but good success with them. They have good patterns and are accepted well. I did have one shipment that had two queens DOA, but they made up for those plus two extra in the next shipment so I have no problem with their customer service.

After seeing some of the problems that other commercial beeks have with other suppliers ie - poor acceptance, drone layers, spotty brood I will stick with Koehnen for now. You don't know how bad some queen breeders are till you get stuck with a couple of hundred poor quality queens.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Alpha6;

Cntrlpaguy wasn't saying Koehnen had a bad reputation. No one said that they had bad queens overall. But, for someone like myself, who only orders a queen or two, If you get a bad queen for $18.00, pay $26.00 for freight, and then have to pay $26.00 to have a replacement shipped. Sorry that doesn't work for me. Large purchasers it does, the two dead queens are just put on your next large shipment and you have not lost anything. But a person who only orders one queen could be out $70.00 for a queen that has to be replaced. Overall, Koehnen seems to have a good reputation. Cntrlpaguy didn't bad mouth them, just explained the circumstances and why he wasn't satisfied. Earlier this year I ordered a $25.00 Beeweaver queen (less 10% discount), and $4.80 freight. They have been in business since 1888, catering to both the big guy, and the small guy. Cntrlpaguy purchased from Koehnen based upon all the rosy scenarios given in this thread. His scenario, is not quite so rosy, but one that needs to be posted. Everyone can read all the good, it is nice to know under what circumstances you might not be pleased. I can also understand Koehnen's side, sell an $18.00 queen and have to replace her for $26.00. That doesn't work for them. In this particular instance the business arrangement wasn't compatible for both sides.

Danny

·
Registered
533 Posts
They have always been great with me. You can't ask them to eat that $26! That doesn't seem fair. They did credit you, which is more than I can say for many other companies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just FYI for centralpa some advice i would give you. Koehnen is a great company. I have heard great things from other companies that sell queens and packages. I would not but from any one more then two states away. just to much travel time even if its over night frieght. Koenhnen ships both us mail and ups so that is why I use them. And I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
These queens were skinny, so who knows if they mated or not.

Have you checked the queens to see how big they are now that they are in egg laying production.
What breed did you purchase?
Ernie

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
They did make a point to tell me that their queens were mated and they didn't know their egg laying patterns. These queens were skinny, so who knows if they mated or not.
I would also say this, if in doubt about the policies or provisions ask questions. I take note that they were honest and forthright in giving information. If one knows the policies and then is later not satisfied with the outcome, in accordance with those policies, how can you fault Koehnen? But it sure doesn't hurt to share in what situation it is not compatible.

Also, even a fat queen, when she is removed from laying will shrink and in comparison become skinny; and you can't expect one to be fat who has never laid. I have never ordered a "fat" queen (none were much bigger than a worker) when compared to one in my colony laying. Also, $18.00 is on the bottom pricewise for a queen and you cannot expect a tested queen for the cheap queens.

Danny

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can't say that they were a bad company. It's just that there are things that could make this company from an average company into a great one.

I want companies to care about the success of my business. It would have been easy to take my email address and email me the delivery confirmation number. This past Thursday, it was raining hard -- I didn't know when they would be delivered. I worried about how long the queens would be exposed to the rain. So I went home at 10 AM and thank God that UPS put the queens in a dry spot.

Someone stated that they couldn't be expected to eat the $26. This I disagree with. I paid for 8 queens to be delivered alive to my home. Not 7 queens. I specifically chose 8 as the shipping price was the same as 7.

I did not know their policy of shipping charges for replacement queens when I ordered. I didn't ask and they didn't offer, because we expected these queens to arrive alive. I did learn a lesson for myself to ask this specific question in the future.

In today's day and age, I want to buy from american companies who go the extra mile and value my business. Just think of the good will that could have been earned by shipping a replacement queen at their expense. I would have been satisfied and would also added my voice to those that promote this company to other beekeepers. Plus they would have kept my future business. How much is good will worth. Alot...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Tom G. Laury who stated that CentralPa guy's opinion yada, yada. His quote was taken out of this post when Laury's post was removed and now this pos is not clear.

Maybe CentralPa guy's opinion does not make a great company, but his opinion does matter. I don't understand why are you trying to discount his experiences? This does matter to the rest of us in deciding to use them or not. I thank him for expressing it and sharing. Is his opinion determinative, maybe not, is it enlightening, SURE WAS FOR ME! And I have made my decision based upon his imput.

Danny

1 - 20 of 37 Posts