Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have only seen nucs on deeps, but Im sure sombody sells mediums, I am trying to transition to all mediums, so, I will be making some for myself on mediums this spring. I think I will be a while before I can completely do away with the deeps. But, gotta start somewhere. G

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm just starting next spring and I began by thinking I'd do 10 frame deeps for "big production". Now, after a month of vigorous research, I am thinking 8 frame mediums for I am 50 with a crappy back and time marches on :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Almost all the nucs I produce are on medium frames. I also produce a few Top Bar nucs, that are also in medium depth nuc boxes. It is problematic to transport Top Bar nucs that are in deep nuc boxes.

I have had no difficulties finding customers to accept medium depth nucs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brushy Mountain produces medium nuc boxes and related equipment, so somebody must be producing medium nucs. However, such producers seem to be far and few between. The one guy I could find here who sells medium nucs needed more lead time and charged a bit more for them. I see a big gap, especially as more people start with medium equipment, that isn't being filled. I'm thinking that making and selling medium nucs is the way to make the bees pay for this little hobby...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I switched over to all medium 8 frame hives, and had a local beekeeper sell me three nucs that were single 8 frame medium boxes. I didn't even have to move the frames over to a different box. Like a previous poster, I too am 50 years old with a bad back and this year I have appreciated the lighter mediums.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yip people sell 8 frame med nucs here locally just take the box home set it on your bottom board drop a box of foundation on top and slap a cover on it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I bought NUCS on mediums my first year beekeeping. I got 5 medium frames full of bees. I look back and feel like I was slightly screwed, but it was my own fault.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If u were to purchase a 5 frame medium i would plan to pay the same as a 5 frame deep or a little more. Just because it was available.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I use 3 frames and a feeder in a 5 frame medium as a mating nuc. It's larger than ideal as a mating nuc, but you can get frames drawn in any hive. No small percentage of these mating cells graduate to 5 frame medium nucs, and then to 2 x stacked nucs with 8 frames + feeder or 10 frames. The graduates then move up to single medium standard hives.

This captures an enormous market value (as the material cost of a hive is easily earned back compared to a nuc). Since frames are interchangeable with production hives, drawing foundationless gets delegated to the hives with lots of wax builders.

The foundationless medium nucs and starter hives are on an overflowing waiting list of new wet-behind-the-ears beeks. Like selling sheep to slaughter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts