Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I am curious, why did you buy a nuc? You have plenty of hives. And I agree the nuc is weak.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I didn't watch the video completely but skimmed though each frame of the nuc.

did the eggs/open brood look good?

It did look slightly light but as long as the brood pattern(including eggs/open brood) was good i don't see a huge issue.

i know you received it as a present but do you know the actual asking price?

I'd rather get a good queen (assuming it was) and a nuc like this, than one so packed it swarms right away.

Also was he under pressure to have it ready for you on a certain date? He probably could have sat on it another week to let it hatch off the capped brood, but from what i saw it looks like it should expand quite well on your property as well.

Aaron

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was $160, it's laid up pretty well, but the brood is spotty, the combs are old and black, one has paint all over the comb, even saw a bee with paint on it. I got it free, but it's still a crap nuc imo. It came from a bee supply store, they got them from somewhere in South Carolina.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Amount of bees: D-
Condition of frames: D-
Amount of brood: F
Brood pattern: F

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
What you got was a mating nuc. A couple of frames of brood and a virgin queen two weeks ago. Queen returned mated, started to lay, and the lid got screwed down. The little bit of capped brood in that " nuc" was not hers. I also bet that most of the bees in there are young. One reason they were so calm.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you got was a mating nuc. A couple of frames of brood and a virgin queen two weeks ago. Queen returned mated, started to lay, and the lid got screwed down. The little bit of capped brood in that " nuc" was not hers. I also bet that most of the bees in there are young. One reason they were so calm.
Makes sense, when I opened it up, I expected a 1000 bees to rush out, I saw maybe 5 and they just stayed there, I saw a few doing orientation flights later on, not many.

Brian I have to say it's impressive how much you have grown your apiary. :applause:
Thanks, I still have empty boxes to fill, once the flow is over I'll graft and split.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I agree with AstroZomBee in terms of how to evaluate a nuc. A good laying queen is the main thing, as long as they're not starving or about to swarm or diseased in some way. The number of bees is secondary -- in a couple months it'll be totally different. Even just drawn comb is more valuable than bees. The box they come in can be useful too.

Skimming over the video, the nuc did look weak, but I'd still take it over a package, or even two packages.

Coincidentally, I think my very first nucs three years ago came (indirectly) from AstroZomBee and I have no complaints about them at all. The "best" one turned out to be the worst for me because it was jam packed with bees and of course I didn't have any drawn comb to give them so didn't succeed in preventing them from swarming. Looking at them on delivery day I'd have never guessed which ones would make a honey crop first year. I still have those homemade nuc boxes and use them for catching swarms or making temporary splits or just all kinds of things.

I still buy queens but I doubt I'll ever buy bees again. Bees are pretty good at making more bees. Sometimes too good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I try to make nucs that are full of bees, but not stuffed. Once population and good brood are established I want to deliver/sell while I'm still seeing white wax deposits. For me that is the sign of a growing nuc, rather than one readying itself to swarm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a nuc as a present, it's not hitting on much, it's hard to tell if a nuc is any good till you get it home.

What do ya'll think? I think it's on the weak side and should have never been sold yet.
I dont know what that video was, but the one that shows the 2 nucs side by side was one of your best videos that stood out to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts