Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious about buying and selling NUCs. All I have ever bought are package bees. Does the NUC come with box, frames, bees and queen? Or is the box or frames returned. I have a wooden NUC but from a Dadant Kit. Wasn't all that cheap.

I assume a buyer would be looking to install the NUC in a hive so it would make sense to not sell the woodenware. Do people use cardboard? Does the NUC come with brood and all?

Beekeeping 101. I think I got the right forum.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Was curious about buying and selling NUCs. All I have ever bought are package bees.

A nuc will take off much quicker.

>Does the NUC come with box, frames, bees and queen?

Of course you can buy nuc BOXES but that isn't the same as buying a nuc.

There are different systems. Usually a Nuc is priced without the box because you either bring your own (if you pick it up on site) or you trade in last year's box. I also have cardboard boxes for pickup if they don't have a box they want it in. Usually a nuc is two frames of honey/pollen and three frames of brood, a queen and is full of bees.

>Or is the box or frames returned. I have a wooden NUC but from a Dadant Kit. Wasn't all that cheap.

If it's for pickup I think you usually pay a deposit and bring the box back the next year. I assume the frames are yours.

>I assume a buyer would be looking to install the NUC in a hive so it would make sense to not sell the woodenware. Do people use cardboard?

Yes they often put them in cardboard nucs. MDA splitters in cardboard work well.

>Does the NUC come with brood and all?

There should be three frames of brood out of five.

>Beekeeping 101. I think I got the right forum.

Yes.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited November 18, 2003).]

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nucs are sold in a number of different configuations.
They can be sold in cardboard Nuc boxes, Wooden boxes that you pay for and keep, or wooden boxes that you put a deposit on and return.
Nucs are also sold with differing number of frames 3, 4, or 5.
You keep the frames that the brood, bees, and laying queen come with.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Never herd of a deposit, usually sell them in caardboard box hives or bring your own equipment
If there was a deposit, I assume it would be the worth of the box, ~$15 or more
Ian

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The nuc's I bought last year were placed in my equipment.

I took him a SBB, deep box, seven frames w/foundation, IC, TC, and the queens I wanted to use, plus $35.00.

I don't anticipate on needing to buy bees again, other than queens, since I do a lot of swarm and colony removals. However I am thinking about installing swarms on at least one frame of brood for a quicker takeoff and to reduce the chance of absconding.

Bill

·
Registered
165 Posts
I pick up five frame nucs, with bees and a marked queen, from a local beekeeper. He charges $50. plus a $20 dollar deposit for the styrofoam nuc box; I keep the frames.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts