Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The obvious question is -- WHY? I can understand if they're doing bona fide research, but then anyone capable of competent research on AHB ought to know how to acquire (and more importantly contain) AHB. I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Was this person considering bring them into Oregon? If so, that's very disturbing! Why in the world would anyone actively seek out AHB?

Even if you did know where to get them, why would you enable such a reckless act? Just tell him to wait a few years and with actions of other reckless people he'll have all the AHB that he can handle. Or consider that not every question deserves an answer.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I do not think too differently about Africanized bees. When I was in Texas, I had a chance to work with them and talk with some people who work them. They tell me, which is understandable, that they do have a lot of advantagous and that the only negative aspect is that they are more aggresive. I talked about this point with them a little more and the old man said its the same idea of buying a pet bowl dog (sp?) or having a snake or collecting spiders. You just have to KNOW how to work with them he said. It makes a lot of since.

So to the guy who wants them, thats great. I have no idea f his intentions. Its not illegal. Its going to happen anyway.... its just a matter of WHEN.

I think people are afraid of them because they do not UNDERSTAND them and in my experiance, people are affraid of what they do not understand!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I do not think too differently about Africanized bees. When I was in Texas, I had a chance to work with them and talk with some people who work them. They tell me, which is understandable, that they do have a lot of advantagous and that the only negative aspect is that they are more aggresive. I talked about this point with them a little more and the old man said its the same idea of buying a pet bowl dog (sp?) or having a snake or collecting spiders. You just have to KNOW how to work with them he said. It makes a lot of since.

So to the guy who wants them, thats great. I have no idea f his intentions. Its not illegal. Its going to happen anyway.... its just a matter of WHEN.

I think people are afraid of them because they do not UNDERSTAND them and in my experiance, people are affraid of what they do not understand!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
>Why in the world would anyone actively seek out AHB?

As I usually think the worse, you gotta wonder if someone's up to no good.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I understand that I don't want hives that are aggressive around my 5 beautiful children.

I understand that a hive sitting in a field where it isn't bothering anybody could create a swarm that could take over the hives in my backyard, thereby threatening my children (and me)(and my wife).

I understand that a hot hive in my backyard would have to be dealt with immediately, which means a lot of soapy water and a dead hive. I wouldn't/couldn't wait 6 weeks for a new queen to propegate gentler bees.

I don't understand why anybody would want that, and therefore I am afraid of that. So I guess I am afraid of what I don't understand.

Sure they might be there eventually, but why rush it????
;)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Chef,

I'm sure glad you live on the opposite side of the country from me. The logic you state is quite flawed. It is this same flawed logic that has accelerated the spread of AHB. It is one thing to accept a risk that affects only you, but it’s completely different to impose such a risk onto unsuspecting neighbors. That is the case here. The impact of importing AHB into an area currently not populated with AHB is very reckless. The drones from this guy's new AHB hive are now propagating to the poor guy down the street who may feel safe because AHB are reported to be only south of northern CA. This situation has the ingredients for a fatal conclusion.

I'm not a newbee and yes I have worked hot hives a number of times. It is not fun at all. I can only imagine what AHB will do to beekeeping in this country.

Lastly, please consider that there are a lot of things that aren't illegal but are still very stupid to pursue.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I would some day like the oppertunity to work a AHB hive, just to see if their as bad as their reputation says they are. Having said that, I would not want them to be an everyday beekeeping expericance. I don't understand why anyone who had the choice not to have them as their normal stock, would want them. It is bad enough that all the normal queenrearing areas are being overrun with them, which increases the chances that I won't have to journey to Texas to work a hive of them someday. You never miss what you have until it's gone, and I for one, would not hasten it's leaving by indulging some fool who thinks he knows what AHB's are all about. Just my two cents.

peggjam

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Aspera, I have six western diamondbacks for sale. They are pit vipers. Also have two beautiful snakes crossed between a western diamondback and a prairie rattler. They will cost you a little more. If you don't like the venom, I have a 12 ft anaconda, also.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
As a USDA accredited veterinarian, I would take issue with the statement "its not illegal". Actually, it is illegal and would be considered a threat to our livestock resources. You won't get caught because the trafficking of bees (animals in general) is largely under/unregulated. That doesn't mean that that the transportation of invasive and dangerous organisms meets federal and state guidelines. How much bad press and human injury is it worth? If you don't believe me just call APHIS and ask if you could be held liable for a stinging death (many of these have occurred in Brazil over the past 4 decades).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Iddee,

Are they ill tempered? The mutated sea bass and sharks with laser beams mounted on their heads just aren't working out.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
<So to the guy who wants them, thats great. I have no idea f his intentions. Its not illegal. Its going to happen anyway.... its just a matter of WHEN.>

It's not great. You need to know his intentions. You are responsible for your actions and the results of those actions. It is illegal. MB covered the WHEN.

<I think people are afraid of them because they do not UNDERSTAND them and in my experiance, people are affraid of what they do not understand!>

I am not afraid of AHB. I would rather work Italians in Langs. If my neighbor breeds AHB, I will not be able to work Italians and I will have to switch to TBHs. I would resent anybody who helped him do that to me.

And personally, I wouldn't help anyone do that. It's an immoral act Chef and I would eexpect you to know that.

Hawk

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Iddee,

I think that snakes are wonderful, magestic creatures. For me, they best appreciated in their natural habitat. But seriously, those mutated sea bass just aren't working out as part of evil empire.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts