Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm Ed, from Oak Hill FL, and I just ordered an "Ozark Cedar Hives" 10 frame, 4 medium super, Cedar hive, and I was wanting info about what species queen and worker to buy online, and have them shipped to me, thanks, Ed

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Welcome!

New beeks have a steep learning curve to deal with that first year, so I would strongly recommend you buy a local nuc—survivor or VSH if at all possible. That way you get some disease/mite resistance to help the bees survive while you learn AND you get a local beekeeper to ask questions of. And you WILL have questions! (Plus many package suppliers who ship are already sold out this late in the year.)

Good luck with this! :D

Rusty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

New beeks have a steep learning curve to deal with that first year, so I would strongly recommend you buy a local nuc—survivor or VSH if at all possible. That way you get some disease/mite resistance to help the bees survive while you learn AND you get a local beekeeper to ask questions of. And you WILL have questions! (Plus many package suppliers who ship are already sold out this late in the year.)

Good luck with this! :D

Rusty
Thanks Rusty, Ed

·
Super Moderator
11,161 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

I have no argument with Rusty's comments, but not everyone can find a local nuc. Nucs are more difficult to ship than packages (usually 3 lbs of bees + a caged queen). The most common packages are Italians.

Whether you choose a package or a nuc, time's a wastin'! :lookout: Work quickly to identify a vendor with delivery dates open and get in line before they are all sold. Generally, expect to put down a deposit of 50% to secure your reservation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to Beesource!

I have no argument with Rusty's comments, but not everyone can find a local nuc. Nucs are more difficult to ship than packages (usually 3 lbs of bees + a caged queen). The most common packages are Italians.

Whether you choose a package or a nuc, time's a wastin'! :lookout: Work quickly to identify a vendor with delivery dates open and get in line before they are all sold. Generally, expect to put down a deposit of 50% to secure your reservation.
Thanks Graham, I ordered a Cordovan and 3 pounds of workers from Shamrock, none available till May 7, thanks, Ed

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Welcome Ed! Robert Craig will be your bee inspector when you finally have bees.
The closest beekeeper group is http://beekeepersofvolusiacountyfl.com/ They meet the 4th Wednesday of every month in the Volusia County Agricultural Center Auditorium, 3100 E. New York Ave., Deland at 6:30 PM. They are a great source of local bees and information.[/FONT]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys, I will check back with you all, when I get things set up, thanks again, Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts