Years and years ago when I was in high school I made a maple stereo cabinet and used a beeswax and boiled linseed oil polish for it. My shop teacher said those infamous words..."Don't do this at home, I'm a professional...and the school has lots of insurance" as he placed a coffee can filled with linseed oil and beeswax onto the gas fired, open flame sodering iron furnace to melt it all together. Amazingly it only caught fire 3 times. :doh: He then poured the hot mixture all over the top of my beautiful maple cabinet and told me to rub it all in and to then pour some more on it and rub that in. The result was a beautiful finish that has lasted for years.