Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what a busy weekend
->made 8 splits, added 8 saskatraz queens...one of the **** queens took to the air as soon as she was released so thats not good.
-rebaited all the traps
-moved 2 hives to a friends place to pollinate his little orchard.

Painted a ton of new boxes.
There is always 500 things to do and not enough time to do them all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
any advice on how to catch a swarm from a split located close to original hive right now just using two baited swarm traps with drawn to Fram and a few drops of lemon grass oil

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i caught 4 last year.
tons of scouting activity at one of the traps this year but no swarms yet.
I've seen one swarm in my life not from my hives. Pretty rare around here. Usually makes the evening news. First year i put out traps and then realized its not worth the effort in my area.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen one swarm in my life not from my hives. Pretty rare around here. Usually makes the evening news. First year i put out traps and then realized its not worth the effort in my area.
you know a buddy of mine in upstate NY had told me the same thing but i was new and excited bout the idea so i put out the traps at our new place in skaneateles last year and sure enough 4 swarms. I have 6 traps out this year again we will see how we do.
Its actually not at this stage that i need the bees since im at 29 hives currently i think but its just fun and exciting to catch swarms.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any advice on how to catch a swarm from a split located close to original hive right now just using two baited swarm traps with drawn to Fram and a few drops of lemon grass oil
i use 5 frame traps with 6 inches "dead space" under the frames.
I use 2 gross old dark nasty brood combs and 3 empty frames with starter strips.
I use swarm commander lure (2 sprays in the front door of the trap and one on the top bars of the frames).
Then find a good a spot, hang the traps and wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts