Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Out of my 4 hives going into winter, I've had one deadout (they had heavy losses over the winter and had a small handful-sized cluster going into this last cold snap). The other 3 are doing well--I know that 2 have started brooding and I suspect the other has by now as well. The remnants of the sugar blocks that I put on in December are still there with a 3-inch spacer below the inner cover, and they've started building burr comb from the top of the frames to the remaining sugar. I know I can just scrape it off, but my question is should I take off what's left of the brick and the spacer? The cluster stayed under the brick all winter, and the queen started brooding right underneath it, so I'm afraid of potentially leaving them without food in contact with where the cluster would be in another cold snap. Otherwise there's plenty of honey in the hive...thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
If there is plenty honey in the hive they don't need really the sugar or the spacer above the frames. They can make a pretty good mess in a space like that with the weather warming.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts