Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I checked the new installation after 5 days, the bees had built a comb that attached to the top bar of existing frame with new foundation. the comb extends half-way down the side of the foundation, so near that I don't think a bee could get between comb and foundation. It has pollen in it. Should I cut it out, move the frame to the outer frame or ??

I'm thinking of moving the frame to outer side of frames.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
They will build it right back the same way, i have seen it several times. After a few attempts i just let them be bees! Seemed like it was just on the Duragilt Foundation! What kind of foundation are you using?????

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Was the extra comb attached to the frame where the queen cage was placed? There may have too much space between the frames in that area if you didn't push them together after removing the cage.

Cut out the comb. Push the frames tight together,..push the frames tight together in the center. There will be some extra space by the two long sides of the box for a while. Make those two spaces equal on both sides. Without propolis, new frames can get easily seperated [a bump to the hive] too much, which violates bee space.

Push the frames tight together in the center of the box. Make sure the frames are tight together in the center of the box. Push the frames tight together in the center of the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts