Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I throw any wax I need to scrape off the frames into a bucket. When I have a little time I clean it up and melt it down to make candles. If you don't want it, I'm sure there is someone near you who would love to have it!

Jennifer

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well Pine, don`t throw it on the ground... unless you want to be an inch taller when you get home. That stuff sticks to your shoes better than gum.

I Keep a bucket handy at my bee yard and throw it in. At the end of the season I melt it down along with cappings and other wax waste and sell it.

If there is some honey on it, put it on the landing board and it will be clean on your next visit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well Pine, don`t throw it on the ground... unless you want to be an inch taller when you get home.
This is too funny! True, but funny. I almost fell off the chair laughing.

We save ours. We save it in a large ziploc until we have enough to work with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My burr comb tend to be darker and messier than what I'd want in candles. I put it in an old coffee can and when I need to install new frames I paint the frames with this wax. (I use plastic frames, and this seems to encourage the bees to build up the frames faster.)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
build a solar wax melter, accumulated burr, old frames, etc will melt down just fine. You would be surprised how much wax you can accumulate over time then trade it to the bee supply house for store credit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I agree with the solar melter! It doesn't have to be elaborate. Even a cooler with an old double pane window will work.

I save my wax in a Ziplock baggie. I used to do a coffee can, but quickly outgrew it.

As a side note, I never throw my wax on the ground. It seems that my local raccoons LOVE free hand outs. And, once they've received a taste of honey, they try to get into the hives to get their own. This leads to testy bees, which just aren't any fun to work.

Happy beekeeping,
DS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts