Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer here and limited in knowledge to what I've read on the web. Installed four (4) packages of bees - two (2) on the evening of 05/13 and the other two (2) on the morning of the 14th in two separate locations. Inspected the hives to see of the queens had been release - all were out of their little cages by the 5th day. Couldn't help but notice that a couple of hives had the cage embedded with drawn comb around it. With my limited amount of experience, I pulled the cages out and inserted the 10th frame I left out.

Inspected all hives yesterday and today and located all four (4) queens - good so far. Couldn't see a whole lot except bees everywhere - nervous I guess and sweat all in my eyes. Not sure there were any brood or eggs laid. One problem I noticed was burr comb (is that what it is?) was all throughout in-between two of the frames - what a mess! :scratch: BTW, I'm using deeps and plastic foundation. Some of the comb was stuck to the top of the inner lid and top of the frames. I cut off most of this and mashed it into the outer foundation that hadn't been drawn yet. The drawn out burr comb between the two frames on two of the hives is rather excessive. Should I just leave it alone or cut it off? Not really sure if it had eggs, but I believe it looks like uncapped honey comb. Any help would be appreciated ahead of time.

Russell

Hives3&4day13 005.jpg

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would spot the queen and once I saw that she wasn't on the comb then I'd cut it off. Even if there was eggs or brood or nectar I'd still get rid of it. If you don't you'll end up fighting it. BTW.... that's not bur comb. That comb they made because they either didn't like that spot on the foundation or they had to much room in between the frames or the side of the box and the outside frame. Bur comb is the comb the bees built to brace the top or bottom or frames together. Ever time I do an inspection and I see it I scrap it off.

Looks like your hive is doing good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply beesohappy. It was recommended not to add a super until they filled up the deep brood. All four of my new hives are without a super for now, but are ready when it comes time. Can you give me any opinions here. It looks like they are drawing out comb pretty fast. At least on the 5 or 6 inner frames anyway. I wouldn't want to encourage them to swarm by not having enough room or anything. Haven't noticed any bearding or anything...

Russell

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
In Georgia, one of your biggest problems is the SHB. Too much space for the bees to control lets the beetles get a foothold in the hive. Don't add a super until your bees have 8-9 drawn out frames. To avoid the excess comb between the frames, make sure you have them tight together without gaps. In the brood box the excess space should be at the 2 sides and not between the individual frames.

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for all the advice - will definitely take it into consideration. One very experienced gentleman in our bee club (SOWEGA - we meet once a month) said to leave the supers off until the frames get all drawn out full. I just didn't want to wait too late, but I think that may be a ways off first. I'm trying not to go into the hives no more than I have to and just let them do their thing.

I did get some sweat bands from an apiary supplier that seems to work great. I used them for the first time and so far so good. I can tell they'll come in handy. I also took advice from another post I read to take pictures and then go back later and view the frames at your leisure. Amazing as to what all the camera will pick up that the eyes seem to miss. Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts