Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So - major newbie mistake when i was taking the cover off one of my hives today.

One of the brood frames from right in the middle of the box was connected to the inner cover. As I pulled up the inner cover slowly I could tell it was connected because of the extra weight. I wasn't sure how to effectively remove that frame from the inner cover without lifting it up, so that's what I started to do. It came up with the inner cover, and I was slowly moving it so I could get at it, and suddenly it snapped off and the frame fell and landed smack down on my inverted top cover. I nearly cried. Most of the bees fell off it as well, onto the inner cover ... I was in a bit of a panic because I thought maybe the queen might be there, somewhere on the inverted outer cover (or in the grass eep) ... of course I couldn't see her anywhere. So I just picked the frame up, put it back in the box and continued with the inspection. I didn't see the queen again on any other frame, but then again there's a very good chance I just missed her (I wasn't spending much time looking for her as I didn't want to keep the hive open too long).

Anyway - i guess i'm wondering ... what's a good way to combat that scenario? How do other folks detach stuck frames (to inner covers) without wreaking havoc?

Registered
I think probably others do wreak some havoc but get a bit used to it:)
I usually use my hive tool to hold the frame from coming right up or if I can reach put the hive tool over the top end and hold it down.

Registered
After removing outer cover Pry up inner cover about 1/2 inch. and blow a couple of puffs of smoke in the hive, this will send the bees down between the frames. give the cover a twist and break free the burr comb.

Registered
I've done it tenbears way, and I've also lifted up a little bit, maybe an inch or so, and then held the frame in place with pressure fro mthe hive tool. with the frame in place securely, a slitght rocking of the iner cover breaks it free easily. set cover aside and then grab the frame and lift it out.

Registered
Lots of ways to do it. I keep either a roll of very thin wire or an old guitar string in my tool box. Puff some smoke under cover and then lift cover up just enough to get wire in and use it like a saw. Works every time, but previous poster correct, might need to add supers. Hope this helps.

Registered
I'm with Cedar Hill...sounds like they really needed room. I am certainly not what I would call an experienced beek...only been at it for 3-4 years...but I have never had the bees secure a frame to an inner cover. A little burr comb, yes, but secured? No. Echoing Cedar Hill...a bit too late for the next layer. JMO.

As an additional thought...your inner cover...Are you running it with the slot UP, and to the back? I'm just thinking if it was up-side down, it may have allowed too much space that they felt the need to fill. Just a thought...

Registered
Was it a plastic frame? They are notorious for this issue. You can use a sheet of plastic as an inner cover, and it solves the problem there, but it also is an issue between boxes. Prying them loose while you hold the back of the box up 1/2" is the only workaround that I know of - and you could still kill the queen I guess.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. The problem is definitely not that they need more room ... they have too much now if anything! I am running plastic frames however, so maybe that's the reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts