Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been scraping the burr comb built on the inner cover, frame tops & sides each time I am inspecting my hives (I'm new as of this year), but on my old frames that the nuc came with, there is build up on the bottom of each of those. Should I leave it, or scrape it off regularly as well?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yup, move the bees off the bottom of the frame and go to town on it. Make them draw comb where they are supposed to draw it. Well maintained frames make for much easier inspections, especially when your hive is a mature hive with high numbers of bees in it.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
On a double deep I dont bother much with the burr comb on the bottom frames but on the top box I remove it. You cannot set a frame back in without squishing bees if there is gobs of drone or burr comb on the bottom. You also cannot slide frames across the rests without the same bee rolling. A few workers is not a big deal but a queen would be. In any case it causes alarm pheremones that riles up the bees.

I can see commercial operators not bothering but they have to be fast and most inspections amount to pulling one frame to see if there are eggs.

I notice Tennesseebeesllc tipping the top box back and scraping its bottom bars free of drone brood and clearing the space where any start of swarm cells would then be visible.

A few shots of smoke across the tops of the lower box and flop the top one down with little chance of rolling the queen..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've quit cleaning the bottom of the frames unless the comb is perpendicular to the frame or extends past the frame surface.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Most of the time I scrape it off. If I'm doing a quick tip up inspection (for swarm cells) I just make a mental note to get back in there.

Not that I always do but my intentions are good.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts