Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeding bees with a top feeder in a medium super the bees in the last 2 days have started building burr comb on top of the brood box leading to the feeder they have not drawn out all the comb in the brood box what can I do to stop this go to a shallow super for a feeder? I have a bottom board feeder I can use instead of the top feeder. I might add they have not been feeding on the feeder Do I remove the burr comb and feeder and add it back at a later date. The hive is in town so they may not need feeding. I had a lot of activity in front of the hive bees hovering in front of the hive up until 2 days ago whe I opened it up for the first time to inspect it the queen is laying a good pattern and had 1 frame of larva on both sides of the frame and some capped cells of brood at that time there was no burr comb.after the short inspection 2 days ago there not much activite in front of the hive except a few bees coming an going. I am new to bee keeping this year and unsure what to do this is a small swarm that was captured 3 weeks ago. any advise would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is it the hive top feeder from mann lake
if it is you need one that is shallower than the medium or cut one down to make it flush with the bottom of The feeder or pay the extra get the shell they sale that goes with the feeder.or you can just keep feeding lots of feed and when they get that filled they will build your other frames. ? if you are feeding sugar water if they dont take all of it a 2-3 days the feed will ferment they you might be in more trouble.its best the more sugar you add to your mixture it wont ferment near as fast and just feed what you think they will collect out of the feeder in about 2 days

1 - 4 of 4 Posts