Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hive has about 30 queen cups and tore down queen cells but, I cant find a queen anywhere no eggs or brood pleanty of honey and pollen. do you think they have a queen that aint layed yet?

·
Registered
572 Posts
you said no eggs anywhere so I am assuming that includes the queen cups so no worry there. Last time you saw eggs? Any Larvae? A new queen in a large hive could be hard to find and it could take several weeks before she starts laying. To be on the safe side, you could add a frame with eggs to try and prevent laying workers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, what you describe, is what virgin queens, do.
ok i did a split because the hive was so packed with bees and they were getting very defensive. it calmed them down a lot. the hive isn't bussing but was shocked to see so many queen cells torn down. its been two weeks. but hive has no brood egg larvae.

my Russian hive ive split 4 times this year and all are back to 2 deep 10 frames. they don't make a lot of honey but boy do they love to built up.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When did you do the split? After you found the torn down queen cells? If so at best you will have a queen in one of the splits. Since there were no eggs the split without the queen cannot raise a queen. You need a frame with eggs, and brood for each of the splits. If you have a young queen in one of the splits that one will not make queen cells. The other one will. If the virgin did not make it back both of the splits will make queen cells.
Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When did you do the split? After you found the torn down queen cells? If so at best you will have a queen in one of the splits. Since there were no eggs the split without the queen cannot raise a queen. You need a frame with eggs, and brood for each of the splits. If you have a young queen in one of the splits that one will not make queen cells. The other one will. If the virgin did not make it back both of the splits will make queen cells.
Dave

split was two maybe three weeks ago. im going to give them some eggs tomorrow out of my Russian just to make sure. queen cell were after the split, the frames I left where mostly eggs when I split them I gave the queen side most of the capped brood. both have 40lbs or better of honey and few full frames of bee pollen

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
"do you think they have a queen that aint layed yet?"
Yes. I think that a new queen emerged, and, because of the time of year and other conditions, the bees in the hive did not want to swarm, so they did not prevent the queen from killing the other queen pupae. The new queen waited a few days or longer depending on the weather to take her mating flight(s). Meanwhile, all the remaining worker brood has emerged, and the bees, like you, are waiting for the queen to lay eggs. The situation may be complicated by the paucity of drones this time of year and the tendency of queens to lay fewer eggs going into fall. Patience is hard, and it shouldn't hurt to put some Russian brood in the hive. Bees bringing in pollen would be a good sign. This may help: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts