Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

question: I combined a healthy nuc w great laying queen with a colony that had a drone-laying queen. Dispatched the drone queen, scraped all the drone brood and newspaper-combined. Today (day 4) I took a look and new queen seems happy and laying great.

But.. there are loads of workers in front of the hive stumbling around. I'll pick one up and drop her at the entrance and she stumbles off again. I'm guessing there's around 50 or so. There's no fighting, bees in the hive were all calm during inspection. I did a mite check the other day and I had 1.5/100. Wings don't look deformed on the drunk bees.

Is this from the combining or true/true/unrelated and a separate issue altogether?

thanks for any advice.

Brad

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Sounds like one of the paralytic viruses. Have never had it diagnosed and occasions I saw it, seemed to pass fairly quickly. One kind resulted in them climbing grass stems but wing muscles would not work. Another instance the back pair of legs did not work and they could not climb stems. A lot of this bunch seemed to get flipped over or stagger.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.. hopefully passes soon. Maybe the stress of combining the colonies made them more susceptible to whatever pathogen is causing. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
noticed the same behavior. I picked one of these bees and placed it in water, she got out and was calm for 30 min but did not clean her wings or body like most do once wet. Then stumbled herself back down and started crazy crawling up blades of grass again. It appeared to me like it was blind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts