Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Langstroth
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title of this post says it all. Some of my bees (on the island of Newfoundland) just got out for their first significant cleansing flights of the year, and while they were at it, a bunch of them (a few hundred maybe) landed on the side of my little bee shed/shack, milling about, just bumping into each other, grooming each other, exchanging fluids between each other --- the normal getting-to-know-you routine.

But I've never seen this kind of behaviour far beyond the hive entrances. Maybe around open feeders, that type of thing, but there's nothing on the side of my shed that should trigger that kind of behaviour. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I'm just curious...

Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? Any explanation for it?

The shed the bees landed on is virtually right next to the hives, not far from the hives, but still, it's a new one for me. (I've kept a small number of hives, 2-10), since 2010.

These bees are nowhere near swarming conditions yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe there was an attempt to swarm and that was their temporary clustering site? I noticed that the clustering area always attracts bees for a few days after a [successful/attempt] swarm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Too soon for swarming. Is the wall facing south? When my 2 colonies finally came out after warm weather, they sat everywhere, just happy to be out. West or East Nfld?

·
Registered
Langstroth
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe there was an attempt to swarm and that was their temporary clustering site? I noticed that the clustering area always attracts bees for a few days after a [successful/attempt] swarm.
It was definitely not a swarm.

·
Registered
Langstroth
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too soon for swarming. Is the wall facing south? When my 2 colonies finally came out after warm weather, they sat everywhere, just happy to be out. West or East Nfld?
I'm on the east coast of Newfoundland, and the bees were on the side of a shed that was getting pounded by late afternoon sun. Yeah, maybe they just came out and landed on the warmest spot they could find.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Warm place in the sun to bees is like a trip to the beach for us. Catch a few rays, listen to the ocean, you get the picture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts