Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 200g bulk dairy tank id like to use the mixer on for making syrup. It was pulled from a field so the wires were cut at some point. Can anyone give input on how to rewire this? Only the white wire is missing, black and red are still connected. It is a 2 phase motor- what application would this be for?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
More clues please, like motor name plate with voltages, like 110/220? At this point I would guess it was wired 220.

Crazy Roland

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I agree with Roland. It is a single phase 110/220 V motor currently wired for high (220) volts. Check the RPM, motors like this are often 1725 or 3400 RPM but could be purpose built for something lower. Before hooking it up, you will also need to know the horsepower and the amp load so that the circuit has the correct size wiring and circuit breaker. A 1 HP motor on 110v wiring often draws more amps than most household circuits can carry.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Try a google of the Manufacturer's tag details. I think you can come up with directions for connection options.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Yes, a shot of the nameplate might help resolve some issues. That looks like an old motor. I may have it's brother around to look at .

crazy Roland

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all- close guesses thus far. Its a 1/4 hp, 30 rpm motor. 115/230 volt. I didn't think to contact motor manuf (duh moment). Ill give Century a call tomorrow. My dad was able to guesstimate hookup, but it only makes a buzzing a noise but no movement. Gears look fine so its likely hookup related or maybe starter capaciter(?). We took black wire and connected (bridged) top 2 posts. White went to bottom post and green went to frame. Any additional insight is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Edit- i see my first pics were sideways, sorry. Red (top) wire is now black and bridged, and black (bottom) is white

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Now I am really confused. The wiring diagram is printed inside the cover. L1 is typically the black wire, L2 the white, and ground of course is green. On low voltage, wires 2 and 5 are attached to the L2 terminal, wire 4 is connected to B, and a jumper is installed between L1 and terminal A. if it is hooked up like this and is buzzing, check the ability of the motor to turn, ie, it is not locked up with seized bearings. If all else is good, replace the starter capacitor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the issue. As mentioned the #5 wire needed moved to the L2 post for the lower voltage. Works fine now. Just hope 30 rpm is enough to mix my syrup. Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Excellent!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts