Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unsatisfied with drums for storing and shipping honey. I saw a video awhile back where a beekeeper was using totes to store and transport honey. Ibc totes are so big that my forklift can only lift them if I partially fill them to 250 gallons. Is anyone else using something else besides drums.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They do make smaller totes-I think I saw 175 gallon food grade ones from a dealer some where. Discuss it with Mr. Google and I'm sure you'll find smaller ones.

Or buy a bigger forklift...:shhhh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the video it’s from the Minnesota honey producers association. They are 235 gallon totes. They are for sue bee. Is anyone on here using them. In the video he says he can load a semi in half an hour vs 1-1/2 hr. And I’m sure there is less time putting lids and rings. And less time for the packer to unload and move.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They do make totes (ibc containers) in different sizes. I believe I've seen 180 gallon and 225 gallon, though I haven't seen them used for honey. Can you use this as an excuse to up-size the forklift? If you're set on the smaller totes, you're just going to have to price it out and see what suppliers can offer. I think one issue might be reliable and affordable supply of the "non-standard" sizes. Another thing to look into might be the "liquid bulk packaging systems" (aka bag in a box, cardboard tote), I've only seen 275 gallon but they make smaller ones. They are surprisingly sturdy, (some) even stack-able, and freight per unit would be less if you're having to order them in from afar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m well aware of IBC totes. We use them for syrup storage. They aren’t very good for honey because of the small lid on the top. Too hard to get wax out if you accidentally put some in. I’m specifically trying to find the totes that Sue Bee is using. And get a report from someone that’s using them. Here’s a screenshot I took of them from the video.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Goodlife;
They look like the totes we used when I was involved with commercial fishing up in New England. The ones we used then were insulated, had tops that came completely off and steaming out, we hedge our bets on the ice maker crapping our and fill them with ice. When we landed fish, we'd shovel the ice on top of the ones filled with ice. Yeah, love the sea, hate commercial fishing...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Google 'plastic forklift totes'. Look at 'images' to find some that look right for liquids. There are several vendors who can supply what you are looking for, it seems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts