Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1441 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
B+E - what does your Costco honey look like? Brown like HF rice syrup or Golden like real honey? Ours is brown in Wisconsin at Costco.

Crazy Roland

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
How white is Canadian canola honey? The couple of times I've seen it from the dakotas it hasn't been all that light in color. Somebody needs to post some pics. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's actually a beautiful white Canadian canola honey. Excellent product. Just being sold too cheap.
An observation. Possibly an ignorant or naive one.

I gathered from the Canadian honey council website that about 60% of Canadian bees are on canola. While lighter in color, canola honey isn't necessarily that sweet and sort of has a funky aftertaste. A buyer from a large, U.S. packer once told me they can't sell straight clover honey, even though it tastes great, because the American consumer wouldn't trust the water white color. A golden color is preferred so the sweet clover and alfalfa honeys blend great with darker honeys.

Is it possible that canola honey is less desirable to packers? If yes, then is the price pressure on Canadian honey as a whole possibly because the majority of the Canadian honey coming to market is canola and less desirable?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
How fast does your Canola crystallize Ian? A packer wants a product that stays liquid for a long time because crystalized returns cost them money.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The darker color honey in the past 5 years has sold faster then the lighter color honey in my operation. We produce a wildflower honey that is 240 mm and it sell out before my 11-18 mm color honey, even when it's priced the same. The packer offered me $1.45 for it, so I buckets it up and sell it off to the beekeepers for $170 a bucket ($2.83 a lb). Packer don't care and beekeeper knows what it takes to produce honey.
I talked to a big honey producer out in SD and they mixed all there melter honey back into the light honey and get the same price. The packer blend it all together, they just would like to give you a reason to pay you less for your darker honey.

My 2017 crop was about half of what 2016 was. Price now compared to a year ago is up $.40 on the open market. Would hate to be in a coop. right now in the USA with open market being $.11 higher then what they are getting. Just wondering what new crop will bring.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And it isn’t an issue with packers because pasteurizing fixes the issue. But I will say I agree canola has a distinct “tang” to it.
This is not my experience. Canola honey is quite sweet and not a lot of other taste. I use it to blend with honey with a "bite" to it and dark in color. Canola honey is light color when liquid and white when crystalized.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I observe a definite swing away from 'light colored' honey. The 'alternative' view seems to be that if it looks like supermarket honey it is not to be trusted, and on top of that there is the perceived increase in medicinal value of the darker lines.

Recently I added a darker honey to my trading table at a substantial premium in the price. It outsells my traditional favourite varietal (the eucalypt commonly known as Yellow Box).

Years ago I offered my stack for sale to the wholesalers, and mentioned the presence of one of our Australian Eucalypt honeys that is quite strong and dark. Immediately they started slashing their offering price. I kept it a few more years and at the Farmer's Markets it outsold the lighter varieties. When I ran out of the strong honey my patrons were very distressed.

But if I were a wholesale buyer I would offer the producer more money for what he has little of, and poor prices for what he has the most of. SIMPLE!

Just remember: it is the producer's property and it cannot sell for any price he has not agreed to!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I observe a definite swing away from 'light colored' honey. The 'alternative' view seems to be that if it looks like supermarket honey it is not to be trusted, and on top of that there is the perceived increase in medicinal value of the darker lines.

Recently I added a darker honey to my trading table at a substantial premium in the price. It outsells my traditional favourite varietal (the eucalypt commonly known as Yellow Box).

Years ago I offered my stack for sale to the wholesalers, and mentioned the presence of one of our Australian Eucalypt honeys that is quite strong and dark. Immediately they started slashing their offering price. I kept it a few more years and at the Farmer's Markets it outsold the lighter varieties. When I ran out of the strong honey my patrons were very distressed.

But if I were a wholesale buyer I would offer the producer more money for what he has little of, and poor prices for what he has the most of. SIMPLE!

Just remember: it is the producer's property and it cannot sell for any price he has not agreed to!
Hi John,

I'm a very small producer ( up to about 4000 kg /season) but I have noticed the same - darker honeys are often requested.

We don't get many dark honeys, mostly light and medium.

I think the request for darker honey comes from the believe that darker honey are better for you. eg Manuka can be nearly black.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just sold the last of my 2016 crop for $2.35. I was offer $1.85 from the same packer last year for that same lot of honey. I guess it does pay to warehouse honey. Must have needed it to, because signed the deal one day and picked it all up the next. I think a lot of packers are running low with last years short crop.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I too am hearing of shortages of honey in the USA, and of a slight upward trend in pricing. It is long overdue. Let's all hope for good crop and prices to match.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Definitely more packer interest right now. One buyer confided to me that "there just dosent seem to be a lot of honey out there".

1401 - 1420 of 1441 Posts