Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1441 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think we would be if we didn't have to keep all those politicians in London and Brussels :).
Brussels wont be your problem soon so it will be interesting to see how you survive on your own, it will be interesting to see how environmentally friendly you will be and how you become self sufficient in the production of honey and no imports of queens from Italy. The opportunity to make a new start and your own rules will be interesting to watch. There will be billions floating around since you do not have to contribute to Europe and the opportunity to negotiate your own trade deals which will include importation of Honey from organic sustainable sources. Interesting times ahead.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Agreed, you will be fine Beekuk, what ever made sense about having your country run from Germany, or forking out massive sums of money to bankrupt countries that welch on paying it back.

And hey, New Zealand is your old friend from pre EU days, hope you guys remember us and want to pick up doing business again. We even have italian queen bees :).

Make friends with the right kind of people.

·
Registered
463 Posts
And hey, New Zealand is your old friend from pre EU days, hope you guys remember us and want to pick up doing business again. We even have italian queen bees :).
OT, we already import queens from New Zealand, don't think that has ever stopped, also from Australia and Argentina.

Also package bees imported into UK from Arataki.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Agreed, you will be fine Beekuk, what ever made sense about having your country run from Germany, or forking out massive sums of money to bankrupt countries that welch on paying it back.

Make friends with the right kind of people.
OT
Just to point out - the bankrupt countries were basically cornered into taking a bunch of EU loans (EU knowing it couldn't be paid back) to prevent the EU economy from slipping further into a recession. Then the same EU went in and took over the country's assets.... Remember to "no" vote the EU forced to do over?

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I know, I followed it closely. But the stupidity of one of those countries in particular was spectacular. They spent most of the money on non productive stuff and frankly, corruption, and ended up with zero to show for it. They ignored guidelines and rules the EU put on them about how to build the economy.

Then when it came payback time they said oh we are broke, shouldn't have to do that. So they get told no, they got to sort their act. So then they think oh we'll vote in a new government and make new rules so we don't have to pay it back. Dreamers. The new government got elected on a we won't pay it back platform, but soon as they take over reality hits, and they are forced to start making payments.

Not that I don't feel sorry for the situation they are now in, but blaming the EU alone is not good enough, they made stunningly bad choices. But yeah, the EU should have never put them in the situation, all the more reason for the UK to get out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With Americans getting between 2.10 and 2.20 a pound, I won't be to quick to sell my honey for 1.50-1.60 Canadian. With all the cheating the packers do, (transhipping Chinese honey to get around terriffs, and buying adulterated honey) it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were buying Canadian honey at these discounted prices, ripping the labels off and slapping American labels on. Pretty easy way to almost double your money. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Was offered $1.65/lb canadian that I declined from an American broker. Odem was apparently at $1.60. I guess they did not get the notice that price was higher. I was offered $1.55 ten days ago from the same broker. I guess a slight cause for optimism.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was called last week as well from an American Broker. Offered $1.58. Called back the next day with $1.65. CDN

I know there's some honey out there, and most guys aren't willing to go below $1.80. At the same time, I know many guys who have sold it all already.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I think honey is being thrown in NAFTA talks with respect to duties on agrcultural products.

Some guys are just too hungry. I suppose we all have tobills to pay, but even at $1.80, that is the level at which it should never go below. It has been below that for the last 3 crop years and the industry is starting to suffer.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just got home from the Cost Company. 3kg Kirkland, Unpast., 100% Canadian Honey for $16.98...or 2.57/lbs. That's packed, and trucked from the prairies to Southern On.

Sorry AB and MB Co-op guys, but as long as beemaid is willing to sell honey at these prices to move that product I don't think you can complain about price. This is a beek own co-op giving your honey away.

I obviously don't know beemaid's margins, nor costco's, but I would wager that the costco market is where the largest percentage of their honey is moved to. Which means, that we can't expect the price paid to beeks to get any higher than it is now. Because one thing is certain, the price on the shelf at costco will not be going up.

I'm not here to just go off on beemaid, I for one think a co-op is fantastic and I'm really happy to see Canadian honey on the shelf in a place like costco, however I just don't see why they would sell if so cheap. Is there no choice? Would costco just sell foreign crap if beemaid wanted a higher price?

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Competition Brian, there are competitors standing within the isles, companies which dwarf us in the retail food sector.
Don’t give that same old line , **** BeeMaid, it’s **** those market conditions

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Tell that to the consumer. It’s something we have all been trying to convey for a long time now.
But yes, we are holding most large contracts on the basis of reputation, quality and sourcing assurance. These points are starting to establish recognition again, as consumers shift retail demands

1381 - 1400 of 1441 Posts