Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to a fast food Resterant (Taco Time) w/ my wife and asked what they did w/their plastic buckets (4 1/2 gal) to my shock the answer was we throw them out. Well I susceeded in rescueing 7 from an untimely demise.
Now to the good part, they came w/lids (snap-tight), my intention is this spring (after already preforming a leak test) is to drill a numerous amount of holes in the lids mix my 1:1 syrup snap on the lids and invert them on 3/8" spacer blocks on a flat surface.
The idea is not to have to open the hives and to be able to keep track of the amount of syrup used by my hives, understanding that outside sources may rob from the feeders, flys, yellow jackets and the likes, but with the buckets being translucent I'll be able to montor the syrup supply better. I'll be setting them 'bout 50-75 Feet from the hives. Whatch' all think??????????? Am I nuts or what????
After all I do have Bees

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

J

·
0 Posts
Lots of people bother donut shops about
their frosting buckets, and some of them
get enough to handle their entire harvest
for free.

As long as the buckets are washable to
remove all traces of what they held before,
there's no problem.

That said, don't bother with pickle
buckets. You may NEVER get the odor
out. I tried, and failed, on a dare
from another beekeeper.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did ya try baking soda?? Had to do that when I had salt water fish, Baking soda and salt (non iodionized) scrub well and air dry it appeared to remove quit a bit of the 'pickle' smell. Give it a shot-make a paste of soda and salt and scrub.

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited December 15, 2004).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts