Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
???? you have got me scrachin my head to the point where im going to need rogain to fix the clear-cuts !!!!

30 POUNDS of bees??? thats the 4500 bees per pound and to put 30 lbs in ONE box is 135,000 bees - with 2 frames of Honey ...... sounds like a Holcaust to me!!!

could be a typo

to house that may bees id say you would need about 6 deep ten frame boxes
and they still might over heat

just wondering why the need for one box for all of them ???
we move bees in 5 frame nucs and they hold about 2 lbs of bees and thats cramped

·
Registered
145 Posts
The bulk bee/brood boxes I have experience with were 10 frame jumbo depth (for use with standard frames to allow for clustering) with 8 frame spacers. They had a screened top and bottom with a telescoping style rim which were handily secured with eye screws and short bungy cords. Bob Nelson

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey concrete you crack me up. California queen producers do this all the time. So does Keith Jarrett for selling bulk bees. I'm wanting to do it for making up packages a faster way than actually putting them in individual 3# packages, waiting a few days and then installing them. A California queen producer told me about it and I want to give it a try. Btw, the bees will only be in there for a day or so.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A freind of mine had bulk bee boxs that were the same diminsion in length of a super, about half agian as wide. and about three feet in depth. They would hold 40 pounds of bees and could hold a couple of frame feeders or frames of honey. he had pegs on either side of the ears of the frame so that they wouldn't fall off the frame rest. the bottom was screened and had cleats to keep it about 1 1/2 off the ground and the top was screened and hinged on one side.

If a make som of my own, I think I would just use to standard supers nailed together with the same screening sceme as the boxes I mentioned in the above paragraph. the frame rest are already there for the frames of feed and it may be a little bit easier to weigh. I might add that the sides may be routered out and screened to reduce weight and provide more ventalation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used screened deeps once (top and bottom screened with a frame of honey) and I was not all that happy with the results.

The bulk cages I have seen that I liked best were about 2' x 2' x 2' made out of 3/4 ply with about 2/3 of each panel screened, also the bottom screened with "feet" on the bottom to provide airflow for the bottom. I was told 40lb bee with provision to hold a frame of honey or use candy

The important detail is how the top fits on. I made a fancy little slide in a grove style screened top board for the setup I mentioned (not good), what works best seems to be a top that "fits" the inside dimensions of the box. It's a challenge to describe but basically you would have one piece of ply that is cut larger than the hole as the top surface, and one piece screwed to the bottom of this that exactly fits inside dimensions of the top of the cage...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Go to YouTube, do a search for Malka Queens and watch their videos to see their bulk cages. I think you'll enjoy them, they just aren't long enough.BTW, they are in Argentina.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts