Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Varroa control mid-summer/late-summer - to create brood-less windows for treatments (without colony splitting).
Also for managing the flow harvest - the same, to create brood-less windows.
Also for multi-queen projects (including wintering).
Many uses if you think about it.
If it was predictable, it would be a neat way to winter a few extra queens? Is that queen excluder dimension or small enough to keep workers out?

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Some climate conditions can tolerate, even benefit from brood interruptions. Many people though are keeping bees in areas that would either yield very little honey or need massive amounts of feeding or they would not survive the following winter. It should be clear that in such cases caging the queen is not magically a plus.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
If the flow was over for a while it would be just as well to limit brood rearing. Carni bees will do this without caging their queen but in any case excess brood rearing would not be an asset. In such a summer dearth area there would be plenty of time to raise the required 2 or 3 rounds for the winter surviors.

I have usually a slow steady flow so I think it is not as promising for me; had not given it much thought but I can see where the idea could be sold!
Had a fair bit of exchange with WWW from Ohio and he described a similar scenario. He did have terribly poor queen mating success tho at that time so you would have to either keep the old queen on low idle or have earlier mated queens ready to go. Caging could be one solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts