Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast will a new package off bees take off with frames with built comb? Can you expect a honey crop this year?

Any thing to watch out for? rebuilding from winter loses.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The thing I learned is to not give too much comb too quickly. Wait till they fill up the deep before adding another. They seem to do a better job. I think at least one beekeeper here replaces his bees every year with packages on drawn comb and harvests honey.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hawkster
Thanks plan was to install package on one 10 frame deep then check once a week to see how thing are going when 7 frames are full of bees add 2nd super.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you have a strong flow you may get honey. I started some carnis on 8 medium drawn frames last year and go two deeps + two mediums drawn out (8 frame) as well as 30lbs of honey. Planning splits with them this year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Feed them like crazy til the comb is drawn on first deep box. 7-8 frames then add next deep box and keep feeding. When that's drawn out and queen is in the top box laying swap the boxes top to bottom. Add two suppers and no queen excluder. If you have a strong flow watch out. Good luck! Its farming. There may be a 3-4% factor of error in what I say. Its free!!! Works for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It can be done although it seems to take a little more then a gallon of syrup to draw out a deep frame. We have drawn out 2 deeps with a three pound package in a summer and still made honey although honey production is greatly reduced, and the weather/ honey flow makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
That's about our goal also. We typicaly can split 3lb 3 from 2, or 2 from one, and still expect a honey crop. Proper management of the bees is essential.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
A large local commercial outfit sells their bees as shakers every October and gets in two pound packages in early April every spring. These are installed in prepared hive bodies. About the third or forth week in May, those singles are moved to summer locations and given a second box. When the flow starts they start piling on supers. By August they average six deeps high. I don't know that those boxes are all full but some years I have seen them bearding at the top. I doubt they are drawing all that much new comb. I think it is called management.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts