Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow I need to start building some as well! I have no other apiaries within a mile but hoping for luck! I might set one up at work, since I saw a few honeybees around the building last year. Any tips for placement or how early to put them out?

·
Registered
Zone 8b
460 Posts
i don't "build" a swarm trap, I have stacks of them.

I use my oldest boxes and frames for traps, they have the right smell...
and I won't care much if it gets rustled.

To try with unused gear is much more difficult.
You could spill some wax inside your boxes to make them smell more like home.
Likely Better than a swarm lure.

if you don't have traps out you won't catch anything.

·
Registered
Right now,one hive consisting of two 10 frame deeps of an Ohio swarm of muttsutts.
277 Posts
Mine are pretty similar to the OP's but I took my info from this gentleman who used to be a beekeeper member of our assoc. here in Ohio. According to the members who have used them, they work well. I built several and gave a couple to my mentor. I do not have any used, dark comb yet, which I hear is the best bait to use so I just melted some beeswax and painted the inside with it. For mine, I have a few deer hunting tree stand set up throughout the tree lines with the traps to face East or South, also a recommendation.Here is the youtube video of the beekeeper I took the information from. Somewhere there is a PDF that you can copy for building these bait hives.
Swarm Trap Construction - YouTube

·
Registered
Right now,one hive consisting of two 10 frame deeps of an Ohio swarm of muttsutts.
277 Posts
I also prefer standard beekeeping equipment. Much simpler, much less storage.

Besides the bait hives I built from the YouTube video above, I also seen this video and made a couple bait hives using a medium and a 1x4 board spacer on the bottom. It's a good idea too. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Getting underway to having bees this spring by building 5 swarm traps!
I started like this.
Caught nothing.

As soon as switched to used equipment - started reliably having free bees.
Do try old frames with black combs to bait these traps.

Also, as soon as you can, put live bees into these trap and use them as nucs for a season - these will make the traps "used equipment". Of course, this means the traps should be compatible to your standard equipment (which should be a natural thought).

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,072 Posts
Wow I need to start building some as well! I have no other apiaries within a mile but hoping for luck! I might set one up at work, since I saw a few honeybees around the building last year. Any tips for placement or how early to put them out?
I place mine when I see the first Dandelion, Pick them up July 15th
Top of an old truck cab , that doesn't move any more.
If possible face SE, partial shade, in the afternoon, but really any where "can" work
caught a few on the kids swing set platform. Seems off the ground helps.

GG

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I also just use old bee boxes for traps. Making non standard traps is a waste of time and materials, especially ones not made to fit standard frames. I primarily place traps in my apiaries on the stands, so that I don't have to pick them up or move them.

·
Registered
Starting from scratch with Layens Hives
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I started like this.
Caught nothing.

As soon as switched to used equipment - started reliably having free bees.
Do try old frames with black combs to bait these traps.

Also, as soon as you can, put live bees into these trap and use them as nucs for a season - these will make the traps "used equipment". Of course, this means the traps should be compatible to your standard equipment (which should be a natural thought).
Since I have nothing to start with I can not use "old" equipment. So we will see what happens with lure. I am not using Langstrof hives so I am building everything from scratch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I place mine when I see the first Dandelion, Pick them up July 15th
Top of an old truck cab , that doesn't move any more.
If possible face SE, partial shade, in the afternoon, but really any where "can" work
caught a few on the kids swing set platform. Seems off the ground helps.

GG
sounds great!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also just use old bee boxes for traps. Making non standard traps is a waste of time and materials, especially ones not made to fit standard frames. I primarily place traps in my apiaries on the stands, so that I don't have to pick them up or move them.
making swarm traps that fits your hives is a good move though. Not going to use Langs. just my choice.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,072 Posts
making swarm traps that fits your hives is a good move though. Not going to use Langs. just my choice.
Consider getting 1 or 2 packages.
put them in a trap, With frames, Every month move them to a new trap to "season it"
then In the spring when they are dead outs,, you will have several combs for trapping, of the size you like, Or an over wintered colony to split.
Agree with Greg,, rare a swarm moves into , a new wood trap. Unfortunately it takes bees to get bees VIA trapping.
If you know someone using your frame size, attempt to talk them out of a couple. Or have them put splits into your traps for a few weeks. Rubbing old comb on the interior can help, somewhat like a crayon, Sometimes you can talk someone out of a broken frame of old comb. Find a bee group and Just ask, "Any one have a junk old dark comb I can use for trapping" Worst case they think you are odd., :) to some we all are , so no big deal there.

GG

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Since I have nothing to start with I can not use "old" equipment. So we will see what happens with lure. I am not using Langstrof hives so I am building everything from scratch.
Try.
Some swear it works for them.
Maybe it depends on the swarm density for a given area.

I contend I had zero success and wasted a whole summer checking on those brand new traps with lure - all for nothing.
I even concluded there were no swarms for taking in my area - boy, was I wrong.

If comes to totally brand new traps - ask around and even buy the worst possible equipment/frames/combs (even half-destroyed by the moths!) that no one wants anymore.
What appears to be total junk and crap - works very well to attract swarms.
The worse, the better.

If no luck, buy some propolis, dissolve it in strong alcohol (rubbing alcohol is fine) - apply the solution liberally to the insides of your traps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Consider getting 1 or 2 packages.
put them in a trap, With frames, Every month move them to a new trap to "season it"
then In the spring when they are dead outs,, you will have several combs for trapping, of the size you like, Or an over wintered colony to split.
Agree with Greg,, rare a swarm moves into , a new wood trap. Unfortunately it takes bees to get bees VIA trapping.
If you know someone using your frame size, attempt to talk them out of a couple. Or have them put splits into your traps for a few weeks. Rubbing old comb on the interior can help, somewhat like a crayon, Sometimes you can talk someone out of a broken frame of old comb. Find a bee group and Just ask, "Any one have a junk old dark comb I can use for trapping" Worst case they think you are odd., :) to some we all are , so no big deal there.

GG
I am getting a split from someone in spring, providing theirs overwinter well.
got them build now since work gets a bit crazy in the next few months so I was thinking to put them outside to weather a bit till swarm season. think I know one local person that I could get comb from and fit it to my new frames.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try.
Some swear it works for them.
Maybe it depends on the swarm density for a given area.

I contend I had zero success and wasted a whole summer checking on those brand new traps with lure - all for nothing.
I even concluded there were no swarms for taking in my area - boy, was I wrong.

If comes to totally brand new traps - ask around and even buy the worst possible equipment/frames/combs (even half-destroyed by the moths!) that no one wants anymore.
What appears to be total junk and crap - works very well to attract swarms.
The worse, the better.

If no luck, buy some propolis, dissolve it in strong alcohol (rubbing alcohol is fine) - apply the solution liberally to the insides of your traps.
I know of only one hive in our small city of 5,000. I do see lots of bees of many types in my garden and on my heavy flowering apple and pear trees. so I am hoping to get some local ones to move in. getting lure and might get propolis from Dr Leo.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
557 Posts
Propolis is a great idea, however I would go ask a local keeper, or one in the area. Keep in mind propolis will vary state to state to state and region by region depending on local vegetation. If you are trying for local bees which by your post I assume you are it will make a difference. I make my own swarm lure any more but starting out swarm commander is the best I have found. Best of luck on your traps.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts