Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to hijack another earlier thread so I'm opening a new post and this is more related to planning for next year. I've been running double deep broods, with QE's and added several mediums honey supers over the course of the season as the built out comb and capped. As it's said that bees build down, would it be a better idea to put new empty super under the existing one as the reach capacity with capped comb? I would think that the bees would continue to guard the capped honey and transit through the empty beginning popolizing and populating the empty keeping the empty space free of SHB and wax moth prior to comb building? Just a thouight, maybe I'll do a side by side test with some hives next spring or if we get a strong fall flow? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hope you have a lot of hives to compare data that is statistically significant. I have seen them build bottom up, top down and in between. Of course I had lousy notes and a huge amount of variables.

Now that I have learned a bit about strong hives, have drawn out most frames,measured some temperatures and RH values, and have a hive variation no else woudl do, I would say bees like heat. Actually warmer air than the outside and lower RH. They seem to "favor" top down for capping but fill up in any direction. Just anedotal observations and some test data.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts