Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had a layout of how to cut a sheet of plywood to get the most out of it, to build nucs, on here a week or so back. I have searched for 3 days now and cant seem to find it. Does anyone know where it is or have it to post again. I would be very thankful.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have seen bees in a lot less classy homes than that. And I have some ghetto nucs as well, figure they will several as starter nucs till I get enough 10 framers built.

·
Registered
652 Posts
yea. i built an 8 frame medium the real way but am hoping to catch a swarm rather than "pay for bees from far away"- M.P. having a few different chances i hope will increase the odds. I have enough boards to make another nuc too and improve a few things i learned along the way.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
With d coates I was able to get 4qty 6-frame boxes, i think all i needed was a little extra lumber for cleats. i wish i wrote it down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's what I used my first 5 frame...I think it's just as posted above just easier for me to see/ understand lol

End Result

·
Registered
887 Posts
looks like there would be a crack at the bottom of each box....because the frame notch is made by adding a cleat to the outside of the box at the top?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nope, there is no crack at the bottom. This plan makes really nice nucs.
Charlie

·
Registered
726 Posts
In Grant Gillard's book Keeping Honey Bees and Swarm Trapping he mentions 6 frame traps.
Has anyone else tried them and how did they do?
I did some modifications to D-Coats pattern on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and I can get 4 - 6 frame traps also.
I want to set out about 30 traps this year as the closest beekeeper is over 5 miles as the crow flies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts