Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,268 Posts
It appears from your earlier post in a different thread that you already have one hive. Accordingly, I would recommend that you build the new equipment to match your existing hive.

Of course, if you are concerned that your other equipment is too heavy for you to handle, now would be a good time to switch to lighter/smaller equipment. Be aware that having smaller boxes does mean that you will need more of them to have the equivalent hive volume.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am having a 3lb. package of bees come in next week and I am going to build my box. Should I build a 10 frame or 8 frame box.
There are probably 100 thousand words herein, discussing that exact topic. The second part of your question that you didn't ask is -- medium or deeps?

There is a good article here -- http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm -- with some thoughts. I went thru this decision last fall and based on Michael Bush's advice -- and from many others here, too -- went for all mediums -- 8-frames. I'm mid-60's and don't want to lift 10-frame deeps or mediums, full of honey.

There are excellent downloadable pdf plans on-site here too, for building them (http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/). Good luck....

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Should I build a 10 frame or 8 frame box.

I can only offer my opinion. The above links pretty much cover it. I have all 8 frame mediums. I have had in the past, starting in 1974:
10 frame deep brood boxes with shallow supers
12 frame deep brood boxes with shallow supers
10 frame deep brood boxes with deep supers
12 frame Dadant deep boxes with medium supers
10 frame medium brood boxes with medium supers
8 frame medium brood boxes with 8 frame medium supers

I am now almost exclusively 8 frame medium boxes for everything. I have no regrets. It was a lot of work to cut all the ten frame boxes to eight frames and all the deep boxes and frames to medium boxes and frames. It was well worth the effort.

Reasons are in the links in the post above...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I decided to go with a 8 frame medium brood box. Would I stack one on top of the other or would one be fine. Could I put frames in the brood box that already has drown out comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Would I stack one on top of the other or would one be fine.

One is fine for the package install. In two weeks or so they will need another and in three weeks or so they will need three or four more...

>Could I put frames in the brood box that already has drown out comb.

I don't understand the question. What size is the brood box (shallow, medium deep)? What size boxes do you want? Are you asking if you can put mediums in a deep box? Sort of. If you have a drawn deep on each side of it you can put a medium between them and it will get a 3" deep comb drawn on the bottom bar. But I would only do that as a temporary measure when trying to change to what you want. I would pick what you want to end up with, and not use anything that doesn't meet that criteria. So if you want mediums, I would not put any more deeps on the hive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to use a medium brood box. Can I put frames in the brood box with drown out comb or should I use new frames with this package.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts