Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building equipment this winter in anticipation if my first hives in the Spring, and I have a few questions:

1. I have constructed some screened bottom boards according to Ross's plan ("My Old Tools") which calls for a 3/4" space between the screened bottom and the brood box. Should this be 3/8" instead?

2. I've looked over various plans for slatted racks and am wondering about the space above and below the slats within the rack. Should it be 3/8" on both sides? Also is the wide board in the front of the rack necessary (some plans) or can the slats span the entire rack (front to back) as in other plans?

3. I'll be getting 5-over-5 medium nucs in the Spring, and will be using 8-frame mediums throughout. Should I maintain the nuc configuration spanning two boxes when I transfer the frames -- with foundation on either side (2 on one side / 1 on the other)? Or should I break up the top nuc to fill the lower brood box?

Thanks,

Cy

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
1. I have constructed some screened bottom boards according to Ross's plan ("My Old Tools") which calls for a 3/4" space between the screened bottom and the brood box. Should this be 3/8" instead?

I make my SBBs with a 5/16" opening and I just use one side the bottom is constructed to have a pan of oil in it but thats another subject.

2. I've looked over various plans for slatted racks and am wondering about the space above and below the slats within the rack. Should it be 3/8" on both sides? Also is the wide board in the front of the rack necessary (some plans) or can the slats span the entire rack (front to back) as in other plans?

I dont use them so someone else will coment on that

3. I'll be getting 5-over-5 medium nucs in the Spring, and will be using 8-frame mediums throughout. Should I maintain the nuc configuration spanning two boxes when I transfer the frames -- with foundation on either side (2 on one side / 1 on the other)? Or should I break up the top nuc to fill the lower brood box?

That sounds like a good plan and you will probably have to add a second box soon after installing of they are strong nucs.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Cy:

3/4" will permit the use of a standard entrance reducer (i believe)

I'm building some slatted racks and the bee space between the slats and frames is approx 5/16 to 3/8"... It's my understanding that the space at the bottom of the hive is less critical.

As for the "wide board"... I believe it is less effective if you are using it with a SBB. I am attaching a piece of "varroa screen" in its place (My slats are running the full length). The bees can cover it with propolis and it may still function somewhat as intended by Killian. Or if left open mites cad drop through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts