Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built some top hive feeders that use quart mason jars. I put screen on the bottom to allow removal of the jars without letting the bees come out. When I put the jar in and it rests on the screen, there seems to be a fairly large gap between the screen and the jar cap where the holes will be. I assume it is ok, because I've seen ones being sold that are built the same way. Can the bees get to the lid to get sugar water with that gap? Thanks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If the jar lid is more than about 1/16" from the screen the bees will probably not be able to get to the syrup. The bees don't have a really long tongue (I dont remember the name) so it needs to be reasonably close. Having the jar resting on the screen is better if you can do that.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The jar lid must rest on the screen. I use solid mason jar lids from the Classico brand spaghetti sauce with holes punched in them. I do not think you can use the regular two piece top. Easy test, if the syrup level is not going down, the bees can't get to it. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jar lid must rest on the screen. I use solid mason jar lids from the Classico brand spaghetti sauce with holes punched in them. I do not think you can use the regular two piece top. Easy test, if the syrup level is not going down, the bees can't get to it. :)
Thanks for the replies. I am resting the jar directly on the screen. I think the two piece lid is the problem. I am looking for the one piece lid now.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I have not used the plastic one piece lids in this application. This is one of the lids from the spaghetti sauce jar that I used a stapler to punch 18 holes into. Works real well, until the bees propolize the holes closed. Then you just need a sharp object re open them back up.

1585528644494534087971.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts