Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my second year with two hives. They both have a deep full of brood and honey and a medium also with brood and honey. I want to add another medium super that has undrawn frames. I would like them to draw out the frames with sugar before the nectar flow which starts here in North New Mexico which is June to August. So I was thinking of feeding them till they draw out the frames. Why use nectar for comb when they could use sugar? Any down sides to this?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Bees draw comb in a nectar flow that comes in stronger than what is needed to raise the current amount of brood production. Feeding sugar water syrup simulates a strong nectar flow so they will draw wax. Dry sugar they won't use except as emergency food supply when nothing else is available. They have to dilute it to use it so requires water also. Feeding dry sugar will not help them in drawing any wax.

·
Registered
494 Posts
They'll often start packing away sugar water in the combs long before they're finished drawing them out. If you want, feed just enough sugar so that they start drawing on the frames, then take it off. Once the flow starts, they'll draw out comb plenty fast. The trick is enticing them into the super. A small amount of drawn comb will do just that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They will prefer the nectar if it is available. Which they use for wax production doesn't matter--they just need the calories. If there is comb building to be done in your brood and food chambers, leave the sugar water on as long as they're taking it. Be sure to remove the sugar water once you add the first surplus honey super that you might harvest. That way you're sure it's honey, not stored sugar water.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Light syrup works just fine. Drawn comb is a critical colony resource, so it behooves a beek to help them develop enough when they're just starting out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts